A3 2013

Gloersen

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_

I took 3 sets on the new 67 I got. I have been told to measure tips about a 1/4 inch down the caliper tips and I am at 6.845, 2.510 and .775 from tail. Wing at 8 and front Approach at 29 5/8.

It is the fastest ski I have been on since the Monza. Getting up out of the water is a breeze compared to my N1. I pulled out for the gates on my opener and was going so fast, I missed my turn it point. For the first few passes, I had to tone things down so that I wouldn't over pull past the wakes. Skiing it at -32 was a blast and is very easy on the body from getting up to how much pressure you need to get the ski moving. At -35, I could not keep the tip from flaring up after grabbing the handle. I look forward to riding it next week but I am back on the N1 until after Cottonwood. I cant wait to ride it again.

• Baller

It takes a lot less effort than any other ski I've been on. I believe Trent and Matt Brown found that they liked the fin back better on the 67, too. Matt told me he's running .750 dft and in the 6.840 range on length. I believe Trent is a bit back from there.

Currently, on my 66 I'm at 6.850, 2.495, .735. Fin back is better but I'm finding a bit of tip bite so I'll take a little length out like Matt did.

• Baller
Talked with Trent Finlayson about where he rides his A3's this weekend while we were at Cottonwood. He's riding forward with the bindings and fin on the 66. Moved my front binding to 29 1/2 and fin to .770. It was different. The ski turned longer. Not slower. Just longer. Liked that.

• Baller_
I will continue my A3 test this week I plan moving my bindings forward to 29.5 to see if I can get the tip to stay down. Everyone I spoke to this weekend said the same thing. Super fast and easy to ride, ending up with big grin on face.

• Baller

Just started riding the A3 a week ago. I have 66 right now which is a little short for me, shuts down fast at 39. The ski is unbelievable. As of today I am at:

L - 6.840

D - 2.508

T - 0.763

W - 7

Best settings so far. Probably ride these until the 67 arrives.

• Baller
I was dumb and didn't pay attention to my flex numbers before removing the sticker. Rookie mistake. It was the first brand new ski I'd bought in over 10 years. It never crossed my mind that there could or would be so much inconsistency between skis.

• Baller_
@acmx 2 weeks back I had a bad week on the N1 so I pulled the plug on it. I always like to try the latest skis and have always been an HO fan. After watching @Dirt ski on the A2 last year I needed to try the latest from HO. I like it a lot and it is much easier on the body then the N1. With a week or 2 of getting the right set up on it, I think I could take 38 down on it frequently. It is the fastest ski since the Monza and it is easy on an old M4 Back and Body. I still am not sure I am switching but I cant hang on to 2 skis for very much longer.

Hallo A3 spezialists,

I also want to get an A3 but I don't know which length to go for. I have 165 lbs, ski 34 Miles and can run into 35s. Right now I am on a 66,25 A1 and need more speed.

Any Suggestions?

Hope to hear from you.

@Shane: I got the 66. It is a 2012 Model. It feels better than my A1. Quicker turns, more speed out of the turns and more angle. Only thing is the little zickzack it does before I turn in for the gate. I don´t know yet how to avoid this. Any idea. I don´t know this from my A1.

One more question: Do you measure the distance from tail from the end of the upper or lower side of the ski?

Thanks for your help.

• Baller
@Kuba. Just put one head of the caliper against the fin and push down on it with your thumb so that it's flat against the ski. Then slide the other head up against the ski and make sure it's square against the tail. It's going to hit on the bottom side of the taper.

A3 .

I had no plan to change ski this year. But after 5 years the old stick cracked, I ran a pass that did not feel right, took the rear binding off and after close inspection and slight pressure it gave up, towards the rear of the RTP. The RTP plate, I believe held it together and saved me a big get off. (Sixam SS 67")

I have followed this thread and wondered about the A3? Waiting for John Boy our fearless leader to test it!

I am 160lb, RFF, Animal +RTP, can run 35 on a good day, closer to 60 than 50! Slamon'd 27 years and the older I get the better I was! Buying a new ski was big deal! (Cant get hold of a EP stiletto these days, or a Hazlewood signature concept.)

I went for the 66" A3 having read the thread on size and weight etc. Got a four day pass from the boss ( Mrs P) and armed with a new stick went on a mini adventure!

http://www.xtreme-gene.com/

Matt Southam put me at ease, after a few sets and a tweak to my style and can honestly say this ski does what it says on the tin. It turns left, it turns right equally well and is plenty fast. No shocks, it doesn't bite. Factory set.

Matt had to pull me up for edge changing too late and running into the associated slack. Compared to the old stick this is far easier on the body. Centred and this ski comes round fast, if your not happy, a little more front foot pressure and it will turn through to the foam.

I am not claiming a PB, 10 sets in I am running 32 off, but with some more time and maybe a fin tweak to accommodate my style, this has more potential than any ski I have ever bought. I have never been more confident in my future skiing.

Possibly close to 700 sets on the old stick, I can say it will take a few more more sets to get to the top end of my ability, but what I can do is forget about the ski and concentrate on skiing right. Confidence is what it gives. HO team I thank you.

No regrets. Thanks also to Matt for coaching, if you are ever in Europe check out Extreme gene, the lake is stunning, the local food is something else, the beer is cool. What away to break a new ski in.

Check out the vid on the web site.

• Baller
I love mine!!!! Feeling better and better every set I take on it. Going for another rip on it tonight. The angle and stability of this ski is amazing. When I need to scramble, I can scramble and crank a turn and zip across course, whereas my other ski would slide out or the tip would raise high. I'm thinking all the A3 owners are too busy skiing to be writing a whole lot!!

• Baller
I jumped on a buddy's new 66" lime A3. I've never had a ski get as much angle as this one. Even after the angle is set, it's the only ski I've ever had that will allow me to get more angle if I ask for it. I have been running 32 off about 30% of the time this year on my S2. On the lime A3 I've run 4 out of 6 32's and the two I didn't run, I made it around 5 ball. So, I sold my S2 and got an A3. It feels stiffer than my buddy's, and I haven't run a 32 on it yet. I skied them back-to-back yesterday. I ran 2-28's on mine, switched the bindings and ran 2-28's and 2-32's on his. Switched the bindings back to mine, ran 2-28's and couldn't run a 32. I should have tried 32 off on mine during the first set, but I wanted to try the other one while I was still fresh. It's the same size ski, but has slightly stiffer flex numbers. I just can't get the angle on mine that I can on his.

• Baller
5' 11" , 175lbs. I only have the numbers for the stiffer ski 107,132,144. I assume they are the flex numbers (it actually says Route 107, Slot 132, File 144 on the bottom of the ski). When I compared them to the other ski, they were 3 to 4 numbers higher for each one. I've never payed much attention to them before, and I've never skied two of the same skis back-to-back like that, but I could tell the difference right away. I didn't even look at them until after I skied it because I noticed something was different. My ski (the stiffer one) was made in Nov. 2012 which was about 3 months before the other one.

• Baller
I was able to ride a 67" this past weekend. It was okay, but felt softer than the 66" I am on. It wasn't bad, but was a different feel that I would have to get used to. The size didn't feel much different at all by the way.