Shoreline Experts: How to properly weed and maintain a sand shoreline?

Texas6

• Baller
I am considering taking on a winter project and dumping a few loads of sand along my shoreline. Today the 15-20ft of depth along the shore are a mixture of grass and dirt, we run a box blade over it every two years to level any clifting and ensure the right slope. I like the look of a sandy shoreline but my fear is both weed prevention and erosion. Have any of you tackled this project? If so, any tips to help prevent erosion and weed prevention that doesn't harm the lakes is much appreciated! Thanks in advance

• Baller
Sand is tough if your water level fluctuates a lot, but it does seek its own natural slope over time. We put sand in for an area to swim at, and have so far not put chemicals on the weeds, but they pop up all the time. A sort of thin reed looking one is really hard to get rid of. The kids pick them out, root and all, and in a few weeks, right back again. I have been contrmplating weed killer. Salt would probably work, but I don't want to harm the fish either. We actually use ground stone, like #10 or something, and that stays put better than sand, and easy on the feet also.

• Baller
Thx @AB, much appreciated. I really like the idea of buying a ground stone rather than a lighter sand. I'm considering laying a weed barrier beneath the sand down the length of the shoreline to assist with the weed potential.

• Baller

I think landscape guys would say to put a layer of #1 / #2 stones down first, then medium stone, then lay the #10 on top a few inches thick. This base will not sink or be mushy as people walk on them. If you just put sand down, it may take years for it to self-pack. People will sink in it as they walk out. We have taken shortcuts over the years, and inevitably, go back and do it right.

I like the weed screen idea.

In my experience sand simply disappears unless you can get it as far off shore as possible- deeper than your average wader and work back into the shore or beach. Probably won't work in TX but we wait for the lake to freeze, back a dump truck barely on the ice then spread it with a bobcat. Ice melts. Problem solved. Check out www.lakemat.com for their product line. Public or private water is also a factor as far as regulations and such.

@Texas6 and @OB another thing that I have done in the past to prep the lake bottom prior to sand or gravel is to use a Lawn Sprinkler Irrigation pump with the output pumping the water back across the lake bottom. It does a really good job of pushing silt and muck back into the deep water thus you start from a better base than starting with sand on muck. I built a pvc attachment to the hose with a lazy man's bend so that I can stand upright and keep the end underwater. Think dredging. I have also learned through trial and error that high draw electric motors with long extension cords only validates the UL standards for safety. I now run the pump off a generator (about 10' away from pump) for this annual evolution with an extension cord that I could probably plug into 3 Mile Island.

@OB that is basically how I made my beach. Bobcat dug out rising terrain then a retaining wall. Might want to think about a French Drain type deal near base of wall. If the grade is steep enough the rain will flow over the wall and erode whatever is downstream to the lake. I just placed some of the green PVC with holes on one side in a trough in a gravel base and feathered out the top gravel then covered with sand. Ran the ends out to drain away from sand. Seems to slow the disappearing sand from the beach. Keeps the wife and kids happy.

• Baller_
Our lake has a 10 foot section of sand all the way around and the whole lake is basically sand/rubble with some muck in the middle from weed debris. We have to hit the sand shore line 1x per year with Reward (works in and out of water). We get those waxy reeds that @AB was talking about and also get the willows that root everywhere under the sand. We have a 4 wheeler that we attach a homemade drag to and pull it around the shore lines. This helps pull up any roots and dead stuff from the Reward. Once you get it looking good, the drag really takes care of business and it is easy. We use a section of chain link fence that is framed by 4x6s.

• Baller
Are you absolutely certain that you want a sandy beach? Besides the ongoing maintenance, everything you own will soon have sand on it or in it. This includes your boat, your car, your house, your dock, etc. It looks nice, but I've been there and regretted it. Food for thought.

• Baller

I have a slightly different problem than most... I live slightly back from the main shoreline and all the sand gets deposited around my dock and shoreline. Sounds great in theory because I always have sand about 10 feet out. However, all the extra sand means that my slip is shallower, my boat lift hits bottom, and I have to keep pushing my lift out to get the boat in the water. After 2-3 years, the back of my boat already hangs out of my slip.

I have considered what @stoner mentioned to prep the lake bed but I worry about all the sand going through the irrigation pump since the water inlet sits under my dock.

@jfw432 - @Steven Haines has the idea. I have found that even a garden hose put on the lake bottom will push sediment to deeper water. I am just impatient. I stick twenty feet of PVC out in the lake for the intake. I wrap the intake end in panty hose and zip tie. Seems to filter everything just fine.