Skiing in South Africa? Need advice on a trip...

skihart

• Baller

Hi guys

We are doing a family trip to South Africa this March and I am hoping to get in some skiing while we are there(a few sets at the very least!).

We are flying into Cape Town and are staying there for a few days then driving the garden route to Addo elephant park stopping along the way both ways. I have two children(4&7) who we are taking so I don't want to spend the entire trip in the car. Does anyone know of any ski spots that would be available to take a few sets. Unfortunately I will need to borrow a ski of some sort as I won't be able to haul one around for entire trip.

Also any other trip and/or location advice would be appreciated. @klindy has given me some great advice so far but anything else would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Rob

@skihart I live and ski in South Africa, If you are going to be in and around Cape Town, your best bet is to check out Mofam River Lodge, They have a pretty cool 3 event set up there with a ski school and will have equipment for you! check out http://www.mofam.co.za/a-waterskiing.htm. I dont know much about that area of South Africa as i live quite far from there but the Garden route is very well known as being and amazing experience!

• Baller
I want to say it was Sam Roberts (memory fuzzy on the last name) who wrote the piece for water ski mag re: south africa. He kicked my tail at a "challenge the pro's" tourney where the winner skied against the pro's on the tour the next day in the Twin Cities. Years later he shows up with my ski partner (turns out they are friends) at "the swamp" having recently torn his bicep tendon and ran buoys on his jumpers one-handed. Folk story was he could run 35 off @ 36 regardless of which foot he had in the front binder.

Laz,

I have a friend who has been working there since October, he is presently back in the uk for the festive season.

The contact for Mofam Ski school he gave me recently is mofamskischool@gmail.com their phone number in sa is 0218468345, no idea what the international dialing code is.

• Baller

@Laz I ski at skiworld when I'm in Johannesburg and Satellite Dam when in Durban with some friends. @ski.tyron being one of them. Best site in the country.

Only have ever skied in Cape Town with the Viljoen's but their site is 90 min outside of CT and they aren't there often. Heard it may if even been sold.

If your in Joburg it's easy. Don Shead at Skiworld Nautique will get you going. I tried calling Mofam one time to go out there and they didn't act interested. I figured if that was the case I didn't need to head out there to see them ever and waste my time. @Superchicken will be training at Skiworld all of Feb getting ready for Australia. Let me know if you need any help getting a ride.

• Baller

I should have skied on our day in Joburg. Thanks for the reply. However, we are now back in frozen Toronto. In the end, Mofam did not seem to enthusiastic and I didn't want drive an hour without knowing what to expect.

That site looks great.

Hi Guys

Mofam is the place in Cape Town

New owners so some things are changing a bit.

Ross Stegman is very involved at Mofam and also Waterski Federation for that area.

Landline +27 21 300 0326

Cell +27 83 652 2414, rather WhatsApp him as reception out there is very poor.

+27218468345 This is the number that they are asking to do the bookings thru.

mofamskischool@gmail.com

Andrew Stam at Portland Manor Estate in Knysna is also running a small operation where you can get to run the slalom course. http://www.portlandmanor.com/ It is said to not look anything as good as what it may look like in the advertising. Standards have dropped recently and service is very hit and miss. At the end of February we are going to holding a standings list tournament here. I have not been and have been looking forward to going.

Work Landline +27 44 382 0248

sales@stam.co.za

Going up to Durban you have 3 sites

Satellite as previously mentioned.

Eric Cornhill at Thornley Ski Farm, who has beautiful facilities, just can be wind effected, so you need to ski early during the day

Landline +27317851874

Cell +27847851874, also poor reception

eric@h2oski.co.za

Then I am Chairman of the Inanda Water Ski Club.

Very basic facilities, 2 slalom courses. Very well protected from the prevailing NE wind.

I can arrange lessons and ski sets at some times, but there is no-one there full time.

Close and accessible to Durban and Umhlanga

Wayne Cammidge +27824144398

wayne@aquatechmarine.co.za

We have a small active core of members who can be on the water quite regularly.

Then Cameron Rein on sales@watersportswarehouse.co.za would be good contact for further info on Cape Town and surrounds.

Don Sheads Ski World in Johannesburg is always worth a stop.

Then if you are interested in going to see the new land speed world record attempt at Hakskeen Pan/ Thurst SSC then you need to stop in with the Visser Family at Lake Grappa

Look on Facebook at Waterski Sites South Africa to see what else is going on