Aluminum Slalom Boat maybe soon

Dacon62

• Baller
Teflon is some serious stuff. In my younger days I worked in the coal yard of a large coal fired power plant in the fueling operations part of the plant. The coal crushers and pulverizers had chutes lined with sheets of 1" thick teflon. The stuff had hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of tons of coal run over it and it got replaced maybe every 5 years or so? Very strong, very durable material.

I have owned a couple of aluminum fish n ski type boats, so I don't understand why you guys talk like aluminum is not a viable material for boat construction. A 19' aluminum ski boat will always weigh less than the fiberglass equivalent. Fiberglass requires more layers and stringers than aluminum to provide a comparable level of strength and rigidity.. Aluminum does not breakdown with age as does fiberglass, ask experienced sailors with boats from the 80's, they'll tell you how much old fiberglass weakens and stress cracks. Both of my boats were welded and rivoted, never had a leak and there were no soft spots near the welds as was suggested by someone earlier.

There was a huge difference in the ride, aluminum boats do have a more harsh ride due to the lack of weight. Heavy boats will always have a smoother ride compared to light boats. The only time it was an issue was when the winds were stiff and the waves were over 12". But most guys aren't skiing in those conditions, so it really would not be a negative. The wake was much flatter behind both of my aluminum boats compared to my Axis A-22, but the Axis weighs over 1000lbs more.

• Baller
Resonant dampening technology has come a long way in the last 5 years with more and more automobile manufacturers going to aluminum structures and panels. To the point that I'd be willing to bet you could get an aluminum hull close to the ride of a comparable conventional construction hull while still enjoying a considerable weight savings. The other thing is that overall weight savings might not be the ultimate goal, but the lighter construction then gives you the ability to put the weight where you want it.

• Baller
Yup...as mentioned earlier in this thread...it would give you the ability to run unweighted for long liners giving them a low wake and as the line shortens run more weight (strategically placed ballast) for the guys that really yank the boat around. Ultimate versatility. What's not to love about that?

• Baller

It looks like Pavati is starting to establish their dealer network for their aluminum constructed Wake Boats.

Check out their site...some very cool products/ideas. http://pavati.com/al-24/

It's winter and the mind again has time to ponder...if they made a lighter than conventional aluminum ski boat to reduce the wake at long line but added optional ballast to improve tracking for short line skiing I think they would have a market for that. I for one would be very interested.