Serving booze in the home for a "donation"

bherder

• Baller

Totally off topic. My wife is helping run a indoor playground for kids. They come to a place 2x a week for a few hours to let the kids run around and play with toys. Sort of breaks up the day for people who live in the pacific northwest during the winter :) My wife suggested as a fundraiser that we have vendors come to our basement in our house one day for a small fee ($10). These vendors sell misc stuff (crap) to ladies like chap stick, candles, etc. People from the play group and their friends would come to our house and buy things from the vendors. The "playgroup" would get the $10 per vendor money to help them in the following year. Now here is the catch. My wife also wants to serve wine and have a "donation jar". At first she wanted to chart $5 per glass, but I said no way in our house due to liability reasons. I still say no way with the donation jar due to liability reasons. Am I off base here? Need some more people to chime in with their input. I see it as a liability either way you cut it and I don't want to have any part of this in our house.

Maybe each vendor needs to pass a DMV background check? :)

sounds like a bad deal if somebody gets tanked up and runs over a pedestrian or something on their way home. I'm not sure your blanket policy would cover that and I'm guessing you have significant assets that would be at risk. Even though it's low probability I'd say not worth the risk.

• Baller

check your insurance policies on liquor liability and host liquor liability. It will vary by state, but having any type of charge for the cup, entry to the venue, etc will likely violate the definition of host liquor coverage, if you have it. Host liquor liability coverage generally covers social situations where you serve liquor free of charge.

I would suggest hiring a catering company that has the appropriate liquor licenses and insurance and make sure their insurance covers you as well as an additional insured.