Connelly/Fogman binding - warning, explicit images...

ral

• Baller

@efw thats what I thought the point was, and I came to the same conclusion about the toe hold. BUT - then again all rubber boots hold you in that crash 100% as well atleast saggitally.

Looks like a nice setup overall, dual plates and two releases, and can probably release with enough rotational force with out the center blocks.

Hello Guys ! As I was thinking in my coming back, I was searching more info on hard shell systems and found out my broken leg in this forum ! As my friend Alberto explained the fault was mine to use much more pressure than indicated by the manufacturer. I use Terence's boot (now the Fogman Stealth) since their first model 15 years ago. Their first model was fixed on the ski with no release at all and on that one I had never had any problem...So it is difficult to make correlations. With the Diablo I broke my ankle because the boot was not so tight over the foot and when I fell the release system worked but my foot tried to get out of the boot and got stuck in the middle. I think the Stealth new longer boot model is better because the foot can't try to exit the boot anymore. For me the Stealth Fogman system is still the best and more comfortable one. I agree that the release system of all hard shell boot systems need more improvements to better avoid a non-release situation. I am now still in recovery period because I got an infection from the water (pseudomona bacteria) that is being treated, today I complete 30 days in bed ! And I think more 30 days to walk, if we can cure the infection and do not need to make another surgery...But after that, I will come back stronger than ever ! See attached the photo of the moment of the break. Regards from Brazil

BraceMaker, you are correct. Need both feet hooked to one plate to avoid torsion, but need to have the plate sense the load on the front ankle. Since it is possible, in an OTF with severe deceleration, to have a very high compressive load on the ankle joint and high tensile load on the front ankle AT, with almost no load on the rear ankle, the full plate systems may not release while the front AT gets ruptured. This is because the leverage the front ankle can exert on the rear attachment point of the plate is limited by its distance from the attachment point.

After a two year disaster with ruptured AT and dislocated peroneal, I got stealths. Then, modded my stealths to sense high compressive and torque on the front ankle and instantaneously reduce the rear release setting until the load decreased. Seems to work.

I didn't know about BOS site, and just started reading. Didn't know how many of us are trashing ankles. Almost sounds like an epidemic.

Nope, have to wait till the patent is granted. Learned my lesson on speed control.....all I got out of inventing that was a free nautique from Bill Snook at CC. Not Bill's fault, he's a good man. And it was a good boat!

• Baller
I had some thoughts in regards to something like that @gator1 - I was picturing a "transfer bar" that maintains the dimension of the position of the rear boot against the release unit. As the front boot's heel got popped up the transfer bar would be pulled forwards releasing the tension on the release unit, regardless of where the rear boot was.

@rfa. You stated: "In my own case as I have mentioned previously, great record...two pre-releases (one due to releases moving on adapter plate - my bad,- and one unexplained)."

Did you have the adapter plates screwed into the factory inserts or were they just 3M taped to the ski? Was it a single plate or 3 separate plates? Were the plates aluminum or G-10?

Bracemaker, if I understand what you are saying it makes sense, and I tried it. But once you get all the parts designed and machined, you'll find that you can still create a very high tensile load on the front foot achilles EVEN WITHOUT ANY DISCERNABLE heel lift ("popping up") of the front foot. This is because in a rapid decelleration OTF, the force is not only forwards on the front foot, it is also down. So the heel doesn't lift, the knee is just smashed down towards the toe, the ankle joint is overflexed and POP, ruptured achilles.

• Baller
@KM. I have the 3-plate, aluminum, screwed to the factory inserts. As you know, the front adapter plate uses a slot for the final distance adjustment. It was movement of the front Fogman release on the slot that I failed to check until too late.

Went skiing with Lucky Lowe this morning. Didn't use my Fogman. I stepped down to a Wiley with a RTP. Went well. Will take some getting used to. I have a Stealth on order. I may just stay with Wiley. Lucky claims there is no performance advantage with the hard shell. I know I could get injured in anything. Am deciding. Tuna, LP

Hang in there @tuna. Patent will be applied for on the Gatormod in about 2 weeks. It'll work with your stealths, your fogman, and if you want to put your wileys on a plate it'll work with them, or any of these other failed attempts at solving our AT risk issue. I'll post pics when the application is filed.

Got on the water finally last night. Today, it hurts so good. V.2.20 of the gatormod worked flawlessly. Wife still says (imagine pissy falsetto tone for verisimilitude) "it still looks like you made it in the basement". Thought I had cured her of that after she got to spend some of the royalties from previous patents, but some things never change.

@wish, I tore my AT and dislocated my peroneal in a crushing OTF. Been whining about it on BOS for awhile now. Invented a way to "eliminate" the risk of AT damage with a modification to the bindings- "Gatormod". I'm trying to get the patent filed quickly, so those of us who've been hurt have an alternantive, and those of us who don't want to get hurt have a choice. Some ballers are pissed I'm not divulging now, but I'm hustling the lawyers as fast as I can.

My whining and explaining is in this thread, and in another one on connelly stealths