CA DMV penalties used boat

rodltg2

rodltg2, That's really a great question. They (Cali) can sure show unsportsman like conduct on Motor Vehicles for such an infraction...

I grew up there and am casually thinking of going back. It's the stuff like you are posting that makes it a little bit scary though!! I've been livin' in the 80's here in TN. much less regulated STUFF!!!

Although the State of TN. wanted to freakin' Tax me on the Value of my V-Drive FlatBottom when I moved here and wanted to register it!!! -Actually they did Tax me on it. (I declared the value though!!!) dbl wink! ;-}

Freaking Bureaucrats...

• Baller
I don't understand how it's against the law not to register it unless it's actually in use on a public street or waterway. At least here in IL there's nothing that says the boat has to have numbers on it unless it's being used. Here you would only face the usual re-titling fee as far as I know. But CA is likely more liberal.

Cali has a Cert. of Non Operation form and one for Off-Road (non-Highway use) AND one called: "A Planned Non-Operation Certificate," which allows the owner of the vehicle to store the vehicle while allowing the Tags to expire. This however, limits the vehicle to storage and cannot be driven, Towed, Parked or Transported on any State rd.

Cali has a 1 time transport/Tow permit for moving a vehicle w/out of date tags to transport or Tow the vehicle on State Roads from one specific location to another.

@rodltg2, did you check with the always helpful and curtious DMV on the conditions for the use of a Cert. of Non-OP? I know it has to be filled out and signed by the Owner or Owners that Owned it during the duration of Non-Operation.

If that is a no go, did you check with your local DMV Zoo Keeper, to tally up the #'$ for you.

Do you still have to make appt's @ the DMV? -or wait ALL DAY?

• Baller

The owner is not sure if he filed a non op . I' m going to try and check with the DMV but I don't know if they will give me any info since it's not my boat. I have a system when I go to the DMV now. They now hand out tickets and you wait your turn. I check the monitor to see how many people are ahead if me. I allow at about 5 minutes per person. Usually around an hour or so on most days. I then take off , run a few errands then come back. I haven't missed my number yet. Unfortunatley I have had to go to the DMV alot over the last few years , bought and sold too many boat and cars.

I have yet to buy a non current registered boat though. Especially one that is. 5 years out. I'm afraid of getting a $1000 plus registration fee.

I have a friend who bought a really cheap catamaran that hadnt been registered in for a few years. It was gonna cost him $1200 to bring it current. It was more than he paid for it.

@StevenHaines, @mwetskier, That's an idea!

In fact, I had my Flat registered in Ariz. before moving here. (Saved a bunch of $$$ on registration)

Ariz. will register a Cali boat with a "Non-Resident" Registration. It costs a little more then the AZ resident fee. Just not sure if this would fly in Cali @ DMV later on to avoid the Non-Op. issue. But, then again My Boat and 100's of others are Cali Boats w/AZ tags... -which begs the question; why register it in Cali at all???

• Baller
I don't really know anything about Cali but do you know if the new owner actually took ownership of the boat? I ask because if the current owner never took full ownership because of not needing to register it, he will likely be delinquent on taxes because the previous owner certainly wouldn't pay them and the current owner wouldn't get a notification saying to pay them.

The way to avoid the CA fees is to have a friend in Az register the boat ($34) and title the trailer (Under $100 with transfer) then a few months later, you register it in CA.

In Az, we can file the affidavate of non use AFTER the fact. Then the buyer simply pays for his/ her new registration.