RTP vs. Double Boot (question)

aswinter05

• Baller

Does the use of a RTP help you keep weight more on your front foot going into the turn? I've thought about buying a cheap RTP just to give it a try. I've only been on double boots.

This past year, I had A HUGE problem putting all my weight on the back foot and tail-riding. Especially on my off-side turns.

I know I don't need bindings to overcome my problem, however I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Any thoughts?

• Baller
It's not going to be some magical fix. You're on the tail for a specific reason. Typically straight front leg, bent back leg. And throw in hips back and it's tip high for sure. Work on flexing that front ankle allowing the front knee to move forward and bend. If you don't flex the front ankle, knee bend ends up in weight on the tail.

• Baller
The plus side is that trying a rear toe plate is considerably cheaper than trying a rear boot. I agree, there is no real harm in trying. The question to ask yourself is; should you put the RTP on at the beginning so you learn the new system as you relearn to ski or relearn to ski with the old bindings and then swap to the RTP...

• Administrators
@aswinter05 what @ShaneH said. Changing your bindings will not fix your tail riding. I lot of pros swear by RTP but I think it is mostly a preference thing.

• Baller

Thank you fellas. If it's mostly a preference thing then I might as well stick with the double boot. I'm not sure how a RTP would feel, but I would prefer to feel "as one" with the ski and not disconnected in any way. I prefer zero movement in my feet.

Watching videos of you guys makes me sick. I envy the ability to keep the ski wet and have the water breaking near the front binding. I know this is the key to turning the ski, however, I haven't mastered it just yet.

• Baller

Check where your toes are in the boot. Don't know your bindings/shoe size etc. But you may find you can get em quite a bit closer with some chopping. If your toes are inches from your front heel, that's when I'd think to really look at it.

I know based on my body if the rear boot moves too far back it feels like I'm rotating my hips towards the back leg.

If nothing else, I think lots of RTPs let you get your back foot further up in the boot than does a rear wrap binding, which of course wants to pull your heel back into the heel cup of the binding - that's where some of these "minimalist" rear binding set ups look interesting, the R-style from Reflex and the like, they seem to be a good compromise between a full binding, and having the heel loose on the ski.

• Baller
My body won't bend far enough to get out with two feet in -- so RTP is a must. As for the position question, my toes of my back foot are touching the back of my front boot in my RTP. It was interesting when I was at Chet's last week he was having someone cut down their plate so they could get their rear (full boot) closer to the front boot. Apparently he believes in having your feet close together on the ski.

• Baller
Have modified H.O., Connelly, D3 and Wiley rear toe plates a few times. Depending on foot shape you could be a size 9 street shoe with higher instep and wider...who knows...but need an X-Lrg toe slip so you can slide your paw up in there. A size Medium or STD (lrg) size can prevent you from getting up touching or on your rear horse shoe plus your instep could be pushed back. So removal and repositioning the strap forward or back is an option without cutting the plate. Check out the different rubber quality of the straps on diff barnds if you decide to try the RTP. Some are definately more comfortable higher quality and more pliable fixed units (non adjustable type). They hold you in better too. The most comfortable type that will fit the hole pattern on your ski is what you want imo. I have an H.O. Ski and use another brand for an RTP.

• Baller
-also- addressing tail riding an RTP helped me from rocking back and forth. That is if the RTP is posistioned where my toes are touching the back horseshoe. If its too far back could not bend my front ankle or knee enough and my hips would have a tendency to stay back. But thats just me. I am a low level skier. Tons of good info here and all been said before I am sure...I would definately try an RTP ...love it.

• Baller
I have a smaller foot with a hi instep that makes it hard to get my foot forward in my RTP. The solution that has worked for me is to chuck up a small sanding drum in my cordless drill. Using a 80 grit drum I taper the back edge so that its thinner and tapers towards the front. I start with my back foot out and as I come up I kick my rear foot in until I can feel the front boot with my toes. The taper really helps my foot slide in.