Gatormod patent

gator1

Spent some time with the patent attorney yesterday, who BTW runs 28 off. Patent is looking good. I doubt I'll ever make the $10k back out of it, but........

Meanwhile, this has been an interesting process involving the BOS constituancy, with several (including a moderator) expressing varying levels of frustration with my lack of trust in BOS members as evidenced by my holding off on sharing the design. At the same time, other BOS members have gone so far as to call me and warn me about certain manufacturers that have allegedly acted in bad faith to the point of requiring legal action.

No conclusions, just some interesting data on our rapidly aging (and enginerd skewed) subculture.

@horton, it's a modification that can be made to almost all releasing bindings that seems to eliminate the risk of achilles and ankle injuries in out the front falls. Particularly the kind that happen around the ball due to hitting the ball, stuffing the tip, or skipping the tail out.

@shaneH, I don't have to come on here and tell you it is a secret. Several ballers, some of whom have been injured in this type of fall, have asked me to keep them updated on progress with the patent. Happy to do that offline with those particular individuals if online is a problem.:)

• Administrators

@gator1

I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

Whatever the history is between you and @ShaneH I seem to have missed it. It looks to me that you are each grumpy with each other. Enough.

• Baller

Looking forward to copying it.

....just Kidding! Sheesh.

If there's a way it releases either foot when the other foot releases, and there is no Velcro involved, I'll buy it. Hopefully Gator has something to do with the device and not that it's made by someone wearing cut-off overalls with no shirt (or teeth)

• Baller

As one of the large club of 2012 achilles injuries, I have provided input to @gator1 and looking forward to what he has come up with if it has merit.

In the meantime, I think I have already made some changes for the better with my boot selection.

@gator1 - are you filing for patent on an idea, or do you have an actual working model? (Size 9?)

@Drago my intention has always been to let/help any individual who wants to copy it do so. Still is. When I found out how many people have been hurt like myself, I started thinking it might have commercial value. So, need a patent filed before I can help in the UNLIKELY event it does have commercial value, and some binding or ski manufacturer wants to commercialize.

@Zman, I am skiing on the working model. I modified my size 12 stealths, but it will work on any binding. This is about my third prototype (depending on how you count versions) and it is working GREAT. I also am filing for a patent on the idea. I guess if the paranoia expressed by some ballers is justified there is a rep from a binding company sitting in the woods up here in Spokane with a set of binoculars scoping it out as I ski. I am afraid to make any for anybody. Don't want to get sued. I don't intend to ever make any to sell. It'll either end up a flop and I'll just use it myself, or you guys can make your own, or I'll sell the rights to somebody with a corporation to cover them.

I skied like a pansy last year because I was so terrified of OTF and ripping my AT again. With this thing bolted on I'm getting after it again. Feels good.

@bruce55 and @skoot1123: Attached photos show phase1, 2 and 3 of my "very smart" marketing 101 campaign. Like I said in the opener to this thread, this has been an interesting process.

First pic is one week after OTF, still too swole up to operate. Second pic is a month after OTF, still blissfully ignorant of the the need for pic 3, which is 3.5 months after OTF.

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting a glossy unboxing of a product. I appreciate the kudos, and the good wishes, but in this case you are giving me way too much credit. I yam what I yam, and all I'm doing is what I said.

What you are going to see in a couple of weeks is a protoype I hacked together with an old Bridgeport mill, a dremel tool and a section of dog leash. It works great, but its a long way from a product.

@AB, that's awesome. But I'm not working on jumpers.......

@DW, no roll out date for a product. Pics and drawings good enough to copy will be posted when the patent is filed, which is supposed to be in two weeks.

@WISH, that's gotta be the fourth time you've posted the gatoraid lid thingy. What's it mean?