Wake Crossing Problems

Dscholfield

I am experiencing what feels like a lot of "kick" off the first wake which tends to put me out of position and skiing flat out to the ball. I'm wondering if this is caused by not leaning enough on my approach and therefore the ski would be already partially flat heading into the wake?

• Baller

I notice it mostly when loading the line too early out of the buoy or turn in for the gates. A progressive lean is needed so you get that pendulum swing off the center point of the boats path, or thereabouts, but not before it.

Pros seem to be able to load early, esspecially when the rope gets really short, but they maintain or build that load all the way through the middle or second wake.

let the ski finish, dont pull in, and have a nice progressive lean building speed gradually through the wakes and into the preturn. hope that helps, it does for me.

• Baller
Try to really concentrate on trailing arm pressure through the wakes...that means right arm from 1 to 2 and; left arm from 2 to 3.....and so on. The odds are that the ski is flat just before the wakes; this may help you stay on that edge better.

• Baller

@Dscholfield , I've had the same problem. My ski would always pop off the first wake primarily because of a flat ski.

However, I just got back from ski school last week and they noticed that in addition to a flat ski, I also was too far back on the ski. You are going to "ramp" the first wake more if you don't have enough ski in the water.

If you feel that you are on edge enough through the wakes, then your problem could be that you aren't stacked enough. Get some more weight on that front foot and see what happens.

• Baller
I'll add to what @ skibug is saying..if you try to stay more open to the boat and/or try to direct your vision down course or at the boat as youre passing behind it will help you to get and feel that back arm pressure which will put you in a better stacked position.