Need a camera to take on the water.

Bill22

• Baller

I am looking for a multipurpose point and click camera that will take OK video for skiing. I know I cannot get pro quality resolution out of a $300 point and click. I don’t want a Go-pro camera because I want a camera that I can take off the water and put in my pocket that takes good snap shots.

Price range under $400.

Do you like your camera or have any recommendations?

I tried to go to Best Buy and check out some models but only half of the demo unit worked. I have found that the latest models are not always the best. For skiing videos it seems like a wide-angle option would be good so you don’t ski out of view as much.

• Baller

I consider the Panasonic HX WA 03 or 30.

My prios are

- Techncical: Water prof, durable, sufficient zoom for sports,

long battery time, slow motion in HD.

- Operation: Simple to operate

I am not sure about the picture stabilization. That are ofcourse important but not available as a parameter.

Consider also the more expensive Cannon 66 but have not found out enough about that one yet.

I've had a few Nikons in the past and on my second Canon Powershot. I beat the crap out of my point and shoot cameras, so they generally don't last that long. I felt like the Nikon's I've had took better quality pictures. But the interfaces were not as easy to use as the Cannons (this may be different now, but when I switched to my first Canon I liked the interface better). The Canon Powershot 800 that I now takes good video and pretty good pictures. No where near an SLR, but good for screen shots, and 5x3 or 4x6 photos. I feel like the Canons also seem to take my camera beatings better than the two previous Nikons.

I think the way technology has progressed anything that gets decent reviews on Cnet.com will be a great choice.

• Baller
Kodak Zx5. Takes pretty decent quality video, fully digital, waterproof, inexpensive, about the size of an old school cell phone. I bought mine through Amazon. The camera, case, two 16 gig memory cards, remote control, and shipping came to $132. One cool feature (maybe all the newer digitals do this, I don't know) is that it saves stuff in clips. We start and stop the camera for each pass so each pass is saved as it's own individual clip. No hunting around to find the pass you really wanted to look at. Cheap, functional, and easy to use. Not the best digital video camera you'll find by any means but for the money it does what I need it to do.

• Baller
Or, almost identical to the Kodak Zx5 is the Kodak Playsport, if you can still find them. Does awesome HD video onto an SD card, and high quality stills. Camera and some cards should keep you under a C note. Waterproof to 10 feet.

• Baller
@joeprunc My wife has a Canon Powershot and we like it for basic point and shot. She just does not like me taking her camera out on the water. I thought I would get some input here to see what might be a little faster.