At what age did you begin to ski (more seriously)?

gsm_peter

• Baller

The definition of 'begin more seriously' is in this poll:

- Availability to a sufficiently strong boat, reasonable lake conditions and some type of SL course.

- Availability to a SL ski, a driver and sufficiently time to ski at least 10 set that season.

All prerequsites considered what was normal those days.

• Baller
Skied my first tournament in 1977. I have see a lot of changes over the years. Most good some bad. Got me thinking, I've only had 8 different slalom skis, 4 tricks, and 5 jump skis. Horton probably goes thru that in a weekend.

• Baller

First course I ever saw was at Rathbuns in Acapulco in '96 or so. Ran my first complete pass on the 3rd day, but have no idea at what speed. Got hooked immediately. The next year I bought my first inboard, and 7 years later built a lake. A house followed. I figure that 1 week vacation to Ski Paradise ultimately cost me well over a half a million bucks!

Didn't ski my first tourney until '07, but got into 38 so i was pretty stoked.

• Baller

Just started the getting into it addiction last winter thanks to a meeting and some ski sessions with Trent! So I am blaming hom for getting me hooked on it! :)

Bought a lot at a ski site, new tug yesterday, and next step is to start builing so we can really get into my addiction! :)

• Baller
Started seven years ago after we bought a Moomba Möbius LS. Didn't get any real coaching until a visit to Farmer City, IL (the liquid edge) for my first instruction set. Then Acapulco. Addiction in full force just wish I was better!!

• Baller
College ski team was first consistent exposure behind a '82 Stars and Stripes...for about 4 years prior to that we threw in a portable for 2 weeks on a family vacation in Wisconsin. Season is short in Iowa for collegiate skiing but after my soph year I stayed in Iowa City for the summer and a few of the other ski teamers did as well. We skied a lot and that really was my launching point.

• Baller
I was always a Wally with a new Nautique until I moved back to Houston in mid 05. Up until then I'd hang out and drink more beer on the big public lake and ski the course occasionally at 15 off 30mph. After recovering from a hamstring tear I really started skiing more often and my first tournament was September of 06.

• Baller
Always gravitated to the sport, but never had the resources or the facility to ski on a course. Taught people how to ski on Lake Conroe through college and spent considerable time behind a boat throughout highschool and college. Finally moved to private water at age 31 and can't see myself, my wife, or my two boys ages 6 and 11 anywhere else. Addict for life

• Baller
Learned to ski the course at 16 on a 75 foot rope on the slalom off a pair of combos. I did okay until I started going 34 MPH. I kept blowing out the fin. I bought my first real slalom ski, a 1986 O'Brien TRC. I was able to get through the course at 36 MPH after that at long line. I did not learn about the rope shortenings until a year later when I got Joel McClintock's book.

I really don't think I will ever ski seriously. But this summer I am finally filling all the requisites to be considered to be "skiing More seriously", but still don't think I will ever "Ski Seriously". I think of my time on the water more as a hobby that you can spend quality time with your family and friends...and a heck of a good workout.