Straightline Palm Protectors - Who is using this years run?

skibug

• Baller
I have been using SL palm protectors for a long time. They have changed the cut, stitching, and material this year and they REALLY SUCK!!!! They are really tight and the stitch that divides the finger holes digs in between my fingers. The thumb hole is considerable smaller and winds up stretching/ripping at the thinner sweep of material between the thumb and wrist. I used to get about 4 weeks out of a pair before I had to change them out. I am lucky to get 2 weeks a pair with these new ones. Anyone else having similar issues?

• Baller
I've been using mine from last year, and have at least one more pair. Haven't used this years. These things really save my hands. Thanks for the warning. I hope I have enough to get me through the year because I haven't found anything else that work as well.

• Baller
I used to have a pair of Straightline Kevlar Classic gloves from several years ago that were awesome. Last summer I got a new pair of the latest version. The quality of them was awful. Unless they return to previous manufacturing standards, I'm done with Straightline stuff...

• Baller

I actually found a place to order the neoprene that is used in the SL palm protectors. I took apart last year's pad and made a pattern out of it. Now I will cut and stitch my own.

@AB, it takes a little more than just cutting out the pattern as the SL's are stitched along a seam and between the fingers.

• Baller

@Skibug, we have used rubber pads for years. Last longer and take up less space in the glove.

We normally use 3 holes, but I have seen some guys use 4. They sort of look like a fat figure 8 with holes at the top for fingers, and then a large hole for your hand to go through, leaving the pad in between. Make your own, and you will never go back.

• Baller
@AB, thanks for the information. I have tried those style in the past (its been a long time) but I could never get comfortable with them. They always seemed to bunch up on me. I'll have to try them again just in case I can't get my home brew SL replicas to work.

• Baller
Depends on how long you make them. I feel like they are pulling my hand closed slightly. I use Kevlar gloves with HO Tails now, but I like the rubber pads with Clincher style and other Amara gloves, and especially when I have a callous that has popped off - BUT I am not skiing enough right now for that to be a problem!

• Baller

I am traveling a few days and will snap a pic this weekend.

Like Skibrain said, bicycle tubes work. It's worth a try. Everyone has their own preference. I used Neo pads and then my Michigan friend let me use his rubber pads, probably 20 years ago, and I liked them better.

• Baller
I made some out of a mountain bike tube before buying my overtons set. I tore one of them just putting the glove on. Went ahead and continued using the other one but really didn't notice a difference between it and nothing. Maybe I cut it wrong or maybe it was just too thin and I need the thicker puncture resistant tubes.

• Baller
I've used Overtons palm pads under Clincher-type gloves for probably 20+ years. I got several pair from them last year, these are a heavier material than previous versions from Overtons. Seem to hold up much better. I've also found that if I don't have my thumb inside the wrist loop (in other words just the 4 fingers go through the wrist loop, not the entire hand) that stresses the material way less and they don't rip out as quickly. FWIW.

• Baller
go to a beer distributor and get as many free or really cheap promotional beer cozies as they'll give you. cut the bottoms out and add a short center stitch between the second and third fingers. forget the thumb hole its not needed since the cozy will be to short anyway but it will still do what its supposed to. before you reject the idea try it you'll prolly be surprised.

• Baller

Kind of forgot about this, but remembered someone wanted to see a rubber palm guard, so here it is. Nothing fancy, use the thinnest rubber you can find, and could modify to use 3 finger or 2 finger. Needs to be tight and somewhat stretched over the palm or like everything else, will bunch up a little.

2e6dcd8941d85530409e9f8386212d.jpg