Powershell/Fluid Motion/Reflex buckle replacement

BCM

• Baller

I am in need of new buckles for my slalom (old Goode Powershells with side click ratchet buckles) and trick (Fluid Motion with side click ratchet buckles) boots. I have been told to get the aluminum buckles from Reflex, but at $85 a set I can't justify it. Fluid Motion sells the side click ratchet buckles at a better price point, but I would like to change everything over to the snowski boot style buckles similar to those on the new Goodes (similar style to those sold by Reflex). Does anyone have a source for cheaper buckles? If I can't find something I am going to cannibalize some old Salomon ski boots for the buckles.

I know I should just replace my 8yo Powershells with something else, but I can't afford new gloves right now, let along a $500 set of bindings. I would really like to replace both bindings (slalom and trick) but I won't be able to for another year or two, so I will have to make this work in the mean time.

I am open to doing things a little unconventionally, anyone tried anything different that may work? I'm pretty handy with power tools and have no problems skiing on a Frankenski.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Baller

Ask around and see if your friends have any old boots you can rob parts from. Just last night I took a buckle off an old Powershell and put it on my daughter's reflex trick binding.

Then, get off the Powershells as soon as possible. (See threads associated with Skidawg's injury)

• Baller

@Danger - thanks, I think I am going to cannibalize the old snow ski boot, I have had it with the ratchet style.

@MrJones - Trust me, I'd love too, but the current prices are way to high for my pay scale. I do feel safer jumping than strapping on my slalom ski...

@Ed_Johnson - thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to tear apart some old ski boots next week, if it doesn't work, I think I'll be buying some of those.

• Baller
@BCM. I can't believe you are still using the older style powershells. Have you checked to see if they have cracked along the side groove?! I think my old ones only lasted a season and a half before cracking. You need to look carefully along the seam.

• Baller

@skihart..I would not use Duck Tape, but Gorilla Tape is the strongest..I actually put it on a broken front and skied fine with it for a couple weeks while waiting for a replacement from Goode...On the 2 new sets I got last year, I started using Scotch 3M Colored Plastic Tape..It comes in small rolls about 2" Wide...Use to be really common. I could get it at ACE and WalMart. However, it has been hard to find lately, but my local Hardware Store ordered me several rolls from 3M.

It is thinner than the Gorilla Tape, but light and shinney. You cannot tell its on there unless you look really close..I run a piece down the top and bottom seam on the outside and also on the inside..Have had absolutely no problems...Just rub it into all the seams and corners really well.

• Baller
I use Goode Powershells and just fixed a few buckles that were bad and have a pretty safe, inexpensive option. Mr Jones is right, find some boots that are bad and try and rob a few pieces that can replace the bottom 2 buckles (if the teeth are bad on the plastic strap those are actually very easy to replace and then can be connected back to the buckle with $0.50 long bolts and nylock nuts. You can call Goode and they will send you the top ankle cuff with the new buckle that will mount right on the old Powershell 4 boots for $20 apiece. By doing this you will have the new style buckle on the top and the bottom 2 buckles you can easily rebuild. You really cant replace the bottom 2 buckles on the Powershell 4 with Powershell 5 buckles without alot of drilling. Email me and I can send you some pictures of what I did.

• Baller

@skidawg - Thank you, however, I have a few old sets of snow ski boots laying around.

@skihart - I have checked them, I replaced one boot that was starting to crack but today both are fine. From 2004 to fall 2008 I was skiing on them 4 days a week, Feb-Nov, then the last few years I haven't been skiing as much, but they have some serious time on them. I've broken two skis in that time, but not the boots... I think I got a good setup, my 9600 lasted a little over four years while some ski buddies were getting a few months out of theirs and my boots are still solid while I watched others have the cracking issue. I think I got lucky.

@ski38 - If my snow ski boot buckle idea doesn't pan out, I'll give Goode a call about the new ankle cuff. The bottom buckles, unfortunately are pretty well toasted.

If I can get the snow ski boot buckles to work, I'll post some pics. I won't be getting around to it for a week or two as I am on on the East Coast and my ski is on its way to the West Coast (via FedEx) and I won't be getting out there for a few more days.

I've taken some motivation from this thread. My Fluid Motion E-series top buckle is fiddly to use, and the cheap metal has rusted pretty badly...

6e5d956b6bdab45c27b0a73628fb71.jpg

So the thought of swapping to a snow ski buckle makes perfect sense. Unfortunately the recommended website above of: http://www.ratchetingbuckles.com has very expensive shipping to Australia; a single buckle was going to cost me $60 US once landed in Australia.

So instead I managed to buy a set of used snow ski boots on eBay for $20...

d8495928220c82223c2424cc23e48f.jpg

It's a bit of a shame to cannibalize these boots for one buckle... but anyway this is the finished result...

eadedbd56124911b5e57ddb6a86653.jpg

They should be much easier to use with wet gloves and hopefully will be more resistant to rusting.