Make ski rope yourselvs?

gsm_peter

• Baller

Does anybody purchase rope on bulk and make your own ropes?

I did repair a broken rope by adding new rope with the same knot as the shortening loop.

Then I just moved the other shortenings.

Did not take so long.

When training I do not really need more than 1 or 2 shortenings.

Is this just stupied or is there enough $ to save?

Assume one like to do the job....

Where can one buy rope in bulk?

Any other thoughts?

• Baller

Remember that knotted ski ropes aren't just knotted...they are knotted and spliced. The problem with a typical knot is it weakens the rope by roughly half it's normal strength. If you're just messing around on the water, it's no big deal but if you're trying to run the course seriously or even semi-seriously, I wouldn't chance it. You can find decent ropes for $30-$40. Can you really find 70+ft (knots require extra rope too) of quality rope for less than that?

If you're adamant about making your own ropes, learn how to do an eye splice and then tie a knot above it for safety.

• Baller

This was not a question of produce ropes with poor quality.

Of course a private made rope must have splices with the same quality as commercial ropes.

I have yet not seen a poor commercial high quality ski rope but have seen and experience dangerus poor normal quality sailing ropes splices in sail racing.

Personally I will never again allow me to go up in rig with a commercial wire to rope splice.

Have seen a few that did break at type 10% of official break load.

So back to the question:

- Some folks build skis. Want to know if anybody make ropes now days.

- Like working with my hands and with ropes.

- Know I can make safe ropes.

- In the 70ties some skiers used to make ropes so the competence and experience is out there some where.

Most likely I will not do it but I am intrested in the subject.

• Baller
If you're competent with ropes, know what you're doing, can build one safely, and need something to do, then by all means, make yourself a rope. If you can build yourself a knotless rope safely, then I believe you could save a good amount of money. The issue I and I believe a few others are seeing is; why spend hours shopping for rope, building a rope, and have the potential for safety issues when the amount of money you save is about the same as clipping a few grocery coupons out of your local flier?

• Baller

$60,000+ for a new boat, $2,000 slalom ski, $1,000 boots (hard-shells) $100 rope. Want to build a rope to save money? Savings to build comparable rope to a ML rope, none. You can buy hardware rope to make a cheap yellow slalom line, that's comparable to a cheap Chinese rope of some brands. To find high quality poly-propylene of today's top slalom lines in all colors, almost impossible unless you make the raw rope yourself. Jigs, tools and time you will come out way behind. Could be a fun project if you have nothing better to do. It's a great way to appreciate the price of a new rope. Restringing your own handles if you are really wanting to do something might prove more worthwhile. Especially if you are willing to put up with some crooked handles.

In the 70's and 80's people would make their own ropes. That's back when ski rope was the same as hardware rope and lasted about a dozen sets for guys like the Lapoints. Masterline does sell rope, caps, handles etc. if you are needing parts for your project.

Tip:

It takes a while to figure out the jig to build a slalom rope. You can't just use the tape measure. Each time you add a loop and back braid, it shortens the rope. Every knot you add allows for more stretch when rope is tightened. You have to account for the amount of stretch that the rope will grow once skied on.

• Baller

Those of us that have been TC or needed to shorten/lengthen a rope understand that it's not about tying the knots or splices. That can be done/redone safely. The issue is EXACTLY what @mlusa said that I bet you tie a minimum of 10 ropes before you even get close to getting the length(s) right due to knots, splices, etc. For example if the "tail end" of all your splices (the end of the rope fed thru the core at each length end) is just 2" longer the rope could be as much as 3-4" too short overall. Routinely we'll fid in 18-24" of rope into a mainline that measures too long to bring it into tolerance.

Besides that you don't just need one rope you need a rainbow of colors to do it right.

I'm a Masterline fan and never hesitate to order a new rope when it's time. I've considered tying my own handle but its tough to get right without lots of practice. Some folks have done it well over the years but generally speaking DIY ropes and handles is a losing proposition.

• Baller

Show ski folks do make loads of lines - but I agree probably a waste unless you have very specific requirements.

Also - I usually save money by buying mainlines with fewer sections, our big issue is that since we pull a lot of open water skiing, the red loop gets chaffed pretty fast compared to the amount of time we get in the course or shortening loop. So I do have a "cobbled" mainline where I have replaced the red with two sections from the middle just to get some extra use out of the line/end of season.