2013 Connelly Prophecy Review

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/Connelly.jpgThe first two generations of the Connelly Prophecy were fun to ride and a joy to review because they were unique. The first generation ski was a challenging ski to master with radical tendencies. The second generation ski was substantially more user friendly but still not to the tastes of many shortline skiers. The 2013 ski is the third generation Prophecy, it is the best ski Connelly has produced in 20 years, and one of the very best skis I have ever reviewed.

General Feel:

The Prophecy flows from ball to ball on easy passes and then displays remarkable forgiveness for skier mistakes at the limit. There are some skis on the market today that feel great for easy passes, but do not deliver when things get hectic. There are also skis that feel awkward on easy passes,  and then come to life when the skier nears their limit. The Connelly Prophecy feels good underfoot from your first pass to your last. This ski gives the skier everything they need to reset their expectations.  

Many modern skis get additional stability by being wider. The Prophecy is a more traditional shape and archives stability by sitting deeper in the water. A byproduct of this stability is that the skis attitude, or tip height, is constant throughout the course.

Toe Side (Off Side) Turn

If there is one attribute that defines this ski, it is the way it turns the off side. When you reach apex and begin to move to the inside, the ski simply changes direction. With some skill and patience it will carve a smooth tight arc to the inside. If pushed, it will snap around at a remarkable rate. Either way will result in massive angle back to the wakes. Skiers who excel at keeping their shoulders level will be rewarded with addition angle and control.

The off side turn is fast and the angle is acute but the turn is not sliding or unstable. The Prophecy delivers a nearly foolproof off side turn.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/Connelly-2.jpg

Heel Side (On Side) Turn

The on side turns are somewhat rounder and more flowing than the off side turns and are still fast and the result is massive angle. The Prophecy can be made to turn on side without a lot of front foot pressure, but the ski tends to lose water speed if you do so. With at least moderate front foot pressure approaching the apex, the ski will flow back to the inside with ample water speed. 

From Ball to Second Wake

If you make a calm and controlled exit from the ball line, the Prophecy will maintain your angle and create more if needed. If you make a mistake at the ball, and stay calm, the Prophecy will make up angle all the way back to the first wake.

When things are going as planned the Prophecy is at least sufficiently fast. If you panic and drop your shoulder, the Prophecy will generate a shocking amount of cross course speed.    

From Second Wake to Ball

If the definition of a “fast ski” is “a ski that will get wide and make space in front of the ball even if the skier fails to manage the rope”, then the Prophecy is a very fast ski. The Prophecy delivers more of a feeling of early than a feeling of wide. The ski gets wide but does so with a long arcing pre turn.

Quirks & Notes

Skiers who can relax and ski less aggressively will get the most from this ski.

If there has to be at least one thing to dislike about the Prophecy it is the fin block. The one piece block without set screws can be a challenge to work with.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2013/Connelly-3.jpgConclusion:

Best ski ever? There is no such thing. Is it my personal favorite review ski to date? Yes.

great review, I actually bought the last prophecy based on feedback and reviews from BOS.

*power to the website*

@Horton (or anyone else) could answer as you have experienced both 2012 & 2013 prophecy`s.

what would you say the main differences between the 12 &13 version?

I love the 12 but don't feel its quick enough behind the boat, extremely stable and forgiving. is the 13 any quicker or slower?

(maybe quick is not the word i just feel it takes more effort to get the whip,)

thanks @shane, don't suppose you went on the 12?

interesting you say the mapple, I had an Elite and that was by far the quickest ski ive ever been on, all be it bipolar! little dip of the shoulder and BOOM your gone to the next ball... then creeeeeep slowly slowly, *wobble* slower around the ball. then BOOM off to the other side.

basically I got the 12 and I need to justify the change, i just wish my prophecy was a little quicker... (bare in mind i ski on cooler water that most)

• Baller
I am on a 2012 also (should be on the 2014 in a few weeks). The biggest difference between the 2012 and 2013 is the core material; went from PU to PVC core. It is supposed to effect the rebound rate of the ski; meaning that after the ski reaches its maximum flexion, just past the apex of the turn, it snaps back to shape (i.e. straigtens out) quicker. This should produce more cross course speed over the 2012 model. I have not seen or heard what the changes were for 2014; but, @Dirt has commented on another BOS thread that the 2014 is supposed to be even better. Not sure what the tweaks were for 2014.

things are looking very good for the new prophecy......

local dealer has the original Obrien Quattro available on the cheap trying to test both.

(slightly off topic)

appreciate all the input, so many good skis out this year, also got the new Radar in the mix..

*head spin* so many options

@horton, thank you for the great review. I've been dabbling about purchasing a new ski because I am a certified Gear Whore....well and I think my 65' Vice is a little short for me. I think I'm going to look for a shop around me to demo a few skis and decide.

• Baller
@bruzzese, there is a fix though for at least the Tip and Depth; which only leaved the DFT to deal with. You can actually drill and tap the top of the fin block and add your own set screws. I have done it on two of my blocks. If you plan on riding Connelly for a while it is worth the minimal time and effort. I have had my two blocks in a '12, '13, and now '14.

would this ski be good for a skier like me, who is used to a stable, "user friendly" ski like an X7? I am running 22 at 36 pretty consistently, and I have run 28 at 36 once. I am getting more comfortable at 28, and I feel like I am on the brink of running it on a regular basis

• Baller
@Brian M. Yes, I do not see a reason you could not. The Prophecy comes with the standard insert pattern. You may have to drill to put Stealths on the ski, but I am not completely sure. There may be and adapter plate.

• Baller

I am on a 68" 2014 Prophecy. The numbers between the 2013 and 2014 did not vary much. I have found that the JB recommended settings (NOT his personal settings) seem to work better than the recommended factory settings, for me. 8° on the shallower/longer/further forwards settings may calm it down a little bit.

My settings:

FB - 29.75"

Length - 6.840"

Depth - 2.514"

DFT - .743"

Wing - 7°

• Baller
Deeper and shorter sounds cool....Tourney tomorrow but given my recent inconsistent skiing might give it a try...cant say its doing anything badly with current settings but a little fast into the buoy with maybe a little too much bite at the finish. thanks again for he help.

• Baller
@bbruzzese, That is what I felt with the settings closer to yours. Still very skiable/usuable settings; it is just a matter of how you want to ski. I ran numbers closer to yours on my 2012 because it was a little softer in the turn and not as fast cross course. The 2013 and 2014 really snapped around at the end of the turn with the shallower fin; which caused more tip rise. The deeper fin, further back, really keeps the ski down through the wakes as well.

So most of the reviews for this ski have been from short line skiers....here is my quick review from a 15' offer trying to get to full speed.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend let me demo his '13 67" Connelly Prophecy for the weekend. I was only able to get 5 sets thru the course and one open water ski, so my review is not as detailed as others, but thought it might help those in my position. First off for me a 67" felt too long, I am 5'-9" 160ish, skiing open water at 34mph and the course at 30mph-34mph (all at 15' off). I think a 66" would be perfect. Disclaimer I set my bindings in the middle hole, and left the fin at stock, and pulled the wing, so with more tinkering I may have enjoyed the ski more.

I always believed that since I am not skiing shortline and not using the ski to its potential, that it was pointless to spend the money on a ski that I probably would not notice or feel a difference. But in this case I did feel a difference, I now understand what everyone has been talking about with this ski.

Open water I noticed it right away, I can say I've never been on a ski I felt more comfortable and confident on. Usually on my offside pull I am very hesitant, and can only get on the gas coming out of the turn about half as aggressive as my onside pull, and usually flatten out at the wake. With this ski I came out of my offside turn every time in the exact same position. This consistency really boosted my confidence on my offside turn and set me up perfectly for a amazingly aggressive offside pull. Each and every time I was really able to get into and hold a much much more aggressive angle thru the second wake.

My onside pull did not feel much different. My onside turn did feel much more fluid, and a lot less tip rise.

Both my onside and offside turns felt a little slower, and not able to really make a scramble turn if I wanted to, I am attributing this to the length of the ski. If you've seen some of my other threads I am on a 65" looking for a 66" (and actually already have a Strada on the way).

This was the biggest thing I noticed....tip rise, or lack there of. No matter what, the ski stayed in the water, and the tip stayed down, whether it was in the turn, or thru the pull. This really stood out with a pass at 32 mph at the 4 ball (I am LFF and I hate this ball the most). I was quite fatigued already but having too much fun to stop skiing. I came into 4 early, and had to wait longer than normal to initiate my turn. I ended up making a really tail heavy and slow turn. As I was coming back to the handle I realized the 4 ball blues struck again. But instead when I came back to the handle leaning way to far back, somehow the ski forced me back on top of the ski and I was able to get right back into that confident lean, and collect 5 & 6.

In quick summary I've never had a ski feel so confident under my feet, I've never had so many people comment on how much better I was skiing, but unfortunately only having the ski for three short days I cannot attribute the skiing to the ski or me getting better.......

But I can relate to Horton's words of being sad to have to take your bindings off and give the ski back to its rightful owner.

It will be interesting to get on the 66" Strada and see how they compare. Maybe just getting additional surface area at my slower speeds added confidence, or maybe the ski did. But if the Strada doesn't put a smile on my face as large as the Prophecy did, I will probably be spending the $$ on the Prophecy.

• Baller_
After skiing on the '15 GT last summer, I went back to the '14 Prophecy last fall and there I plan to stay for a while. It really is a good, steady, predictable ski. Then I plan to move to the '17 GT in the fall. This skiing all winter thing is the bomb!

Lpskier