2013 A3 vs 2013 Prophecy

scottac29

• Baller

Hey everyone, Im

looking into getting one of these two skis. I can get a decent deal on either right now. Have always skied HO's since the CDX. Never skied a Connelly and with all the good things Ive read about the new Prophecy has got me wondering. Would like to hear opinions from people especially those who have skied both. Pros and cons of each, differences etc. I ski both 34 and 36 at 28 off currently. 5'9" and 180 lbs...trying to get to 175. Also suggestions on sizing are welcomed as well. Im guessing the 66 A3 or a 67 Prophecy....know the lengths are measured differently.

Thanks

• Baller
Scott, I like both skis. That said, I feel like the prophecy is a better choice for someone at your level . It rides deep with a consistent tip attitude which gives a feeling of security. Yet is surprisingly very low effort. I'm finding that this allows me to work on technique. My buoy count is the same on both, but I'm becoming a better skier quicker on the connelly.

• Baller

@webbdawg, hahaa i supposed youre right about the small pool of people trying both. Didnt think of that. And I agree, Shanes advice is always solid.

@Shane, thanks for the input. What size Prophecy are you riding? Any new settings for bindings and fin?

• Baller

@shaneh and @scottac29 - I haven't ridden the Connelly, but I know coming off the 08 Monza I was on, the HO A3 is a world of difference. I find I have far less tip rise in the A3 and it just holds through the turn super well!

Is the Connelly wider than the A3?

• Baller

I skied the A3 for about 12 sets and the 2013 prophecy 3 sets. If you made me pick right now, I'd take the A3. I need to give the Prophecy more time. I'm 5'11" and 175-180lbs. I rode a 66" A3 and now have a 67" Prophecy. I think those are the right sizes for you.

I've skied on two different A3's. I really liked the first one, and really disliked the second one. It made me want my S2 back. Because already sold it, I decided to give the Prophecy a try. I only have 3 sets on the Prophecy, and the first didn't really count because of a binding problem, so its way to soon to make a judgement. What I can say, is that I was more comfortable on the A3 in the first 3 sets than I was on the Prophecy. I was running better than my average buoy count on the A3 after 3 sets. I was running about 30% of my 32 off passes (34mph) on my S2, about 70% on the A3. I know I like the Prophecy more than the S2, but it's too soon to tell if I'm going to like it more than the A3. The Prophecy does get me as wide and early as the A3 but I'm not as comfortable in the turns yet. For what it's worth, I haven't even checked the fin settings on it yet.

I should be able to get a few more rides on the Prophecy over the next 4 days.

• Baller
@TWB *face palm* you haven't checked the settings? How can you accurately compare the two.. Give @Shaneh numbers a go. I think I'm somewhere close to those. I may be a little deeper more forward, but I don't remember I'll have to check my book.

• Baller

@MattP The person I bought the ski from told me it had Horton's numbers. I did eyeball it, and it was within 1/1000 or two. So, I put my bindings on it and skied. *face palm*.

@ShaneH I'll try your numbers. Thank you.

• Baller

@TWB ah I thought it was out of the box. @Horton and @Shane both have good numbers. It's hard to find bad numbers on the Prophecy but I think I have finally dialed mine in for my style and 36mph.

@skoot1123 no, but you never know.

• Baller
Horton's numbers were good for me, initially. But for my level, which TWB you're close to, I needed more length and balanced it with less depth once I started taking shots at 35 and 38. In the end I went with Jamie B's recommended settings for the 67. I tried Dirt's but that was too much length and depth together and caused me to feel like I needed to push it some.