Lots of slack at end of onside

Monkstr6100

• Baller
I am getting a lot of slack at the end of every one of my onside turns. I know without video it hard to say, but what am I possibly doing or not doing? I have my fin set at factory settings (checked it with caliper) and have never used the wing. Should I try adding the wing? Oh yeah, it's a 67 radar vice with dual vectors, LFF, free skiing at 32mph @15 off with perfect pass. I am putting alot into better stance, elbows to my vest with hips out, and looking up the line instead of looking into my turns and that all has made a huge difference. i think with that added speed across the wakes is where i am getting my extra slack, but not at the end of my offside turns? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks. Zach J.

• Baller
Usually, the cause of slack is too much down course speed. There are several things that can cause too much down course speed. Poor angle through the wakes, pulling too long, or too aggressive of an edge change can all cause excess down course speed.

• Baller
Webbdawg, I think you may be onto something with me pulling to long. With it being my onside it feels better so maybe I stay on the gas for to long. And never having a chance to get on a course yet I can't fully gauge how far out I need to get either.

• Baller_

I am going with @BruceEmery on this. I am having the same exact issue (again). I think it is an edge change issue. You are ending your weakest pull and probably didn't cast out well, which is resulting in skiing straight at the ball. Make sure your edge change and reach on that side are two motions (a change, then a reach). If they are not two distinct motions, you will give up your angle and have too much speed into the ball.

The article on handle control may help.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

If you are pulling past the 'white water' off the second wake you are pulling too long. Excess speed can be mitigated by adding a wing, crisper edge change and better extension, but is best if not initiated at all.

• Baller

@Monkstr6100 This is the BEST video I can find regarding down course speed and its relationship with pulling too long. The key is that you have to generate ALL your speed and angle BEFORE coming off the second wake. Its not always easy to do, but its what you should be striving for!

@Sethski breaks it down about is simply and clearly as possible. Truly a brilliant video!

• Baller
@webbdawg99 that's an excellent video for sure and makes a ton of sense. Excited to get back on the lake and put that all to the water. I never thought about how the further I held on to the pull, the more down course direction I would be traveling. It's so simple now that I feel a little foolish. Thanks again everyone.

• Baller
Thanks for throwing that comment and video in @WebDawg99. Although initially we were all taught to pull through both wakes, somewhere down the line someone later told us we were pulling too long. The answer is that both tips were right. We need to stay in a powerful position and maintain our connection through both wakes, but the ski needs to START to move out toward the ideal apex of the turn and consequently to the turning edge as we cross the centerline.