Learning to jump - The correct progression.

kfennell

So I learned to jump in what would arguably be called the "wrong" way and as a result I have trouble staying over my toes near the landing. This is the result of going from narrow plopping on fast second where the boat would "catch" me in the air and keep me over my toes, to cutting through the ramp on RTB where I dont have any rope if I pull in on the ramp and keep rocking back.

For a very brief period I was able to cut through and land on my tips and was jumping about 60 ft. (30 mph narrow in the course). But then I went OTF and now I keep raising my hands on the way down...

I want to break my jumping back to 0 and learn to land on my feet without cheating with fast second, so I am back to plopping from college wide at 26 mph last night. I concentrated 100% on landing on my feet and standing up, but you do land pretty hard from that jump so it is tricky.

Anyways down to my question - what should my progression be from here to keep my confidence up, but not take too long getting back to where I was? I am taking cut sets, slaloming on my jumpers, and jumping the wake almost every day and I realize that is important as well, but on the days that I hit the jump, what should I be doing?

• Baller
If you are going less than 100 feet, ZO does some VERY funny things with fast second segment. If I am not mistaken, there are some pretty good jumpers in your area. What are they telling you? Hopefully they are not the ones who told you to go with a fast second. Get some help from a qualified coach.

My advice would be to not drop down to 26, but maybe go 28 with a narrow split and just do some really easy progressive single wake cuts and just focus on pulling through the ramp and bringing your handle right into your waist. If you pull right through it should bring you right over your skis. Given you are on your toes and have good body position.

If you have a chance go on skifly.com and try to get Flight School. It is an awesome jumping video where Scott Ellis brings you through the ropes

Shane no coaching for right now, but I have had some sets with him.

Going fast 2nd wasn't a bad thing at the time, because it allowed me to land jumps, but I should have got some confidence up and then gone back to RTB, because I never really learned to land on the balls of my feet.

You think pulling through the ramp right away is the best thing for me to learn to land over the skis?

• Baller
@kfennel yes. The only way to land on your toes is to pull through the ramp. The second you quit pulling you will sit back on your skis. Take singles and learn to pull through the ramp.

• Baller

NORM... will be good to see you in WP. On the subject of pulling through the ramp. Tina was actually trying to cut on the ramp. I could not figure how you could be so good into the base and out of kilter off the top. She had always been told to pull through the top so she was cutting on the ramp. Jimmy said to fire her coach. ME.. Since then she has looked awesome. Upped her speed and is doing well.

If your in the area come to SMRR and take a poke we have jumps going both directions now.

Norm, See ya next week

Kevin, Do what I did take your lovely wife to Bennett's for a weekend and learn to do it properly.

I did this spring and my average has gone from 116 to 123. It is all basics... I just do not have any stones. Cullen went 122 this weekend and looks awesome.

Jeff Lindsey

• Baller
@normwenzel I know I don't know how to do it correctly, and you probably know better then I do, but I have always been told the only way to get good lift and control in the air is to to be balanced on your skis and drive through the ramp with your skis, knees, hips, and shoulders pointed in the same direction and driving towards the top left corner. If I let up at the bottom I will sit back. I have a bad tendency of dropping my left shoulder and opening my chest to the ramp. Causes me to slide out on the ramp and lose lift. Unfortunately I'm not very good at explaining myself.

Oh @JWR so what you actually mean is keep the shoulders level and closed to the boat though the ramp. I hear ya and always looking at my cut to hopefully get that big jump when it counts.

Lindsey we will have some fun in a few days. I think I just need to keep my faith and cut later..

Norm