Need Help picking a ski

adirondackski

Like the title says, I am in the market for a new ski.

My dad and I are currently skiing an old O'Brien TRC tunnel concave ski at 36 mph with 15' off free skiing. We are both advanced (what I would consider advanced at least) aggressive skiers. I had never thought equipment might be holding us back until last weekend I tried a friends O'Brien Seven with double sector boots. The difference was unbelievable.

From the research I've done, the three skis I have in mind are the HO Coefficient X , HO Superlite or a Radar Senate C. These seem to fit the skiing we do but would be good on a course that we go to maybe once or twice a year.

I am 21 years old 6'2" and 190 lbs, 11 foot. My dad is upper 40's 6'4" 220, 12 foot.

I was consider purchasing most likely a 69" ski with XL front binding and a RTP. From the research i've done I'm leading towards the Radar Senate C. All three of these options with bindings would be within my price range and I'm just looking for some advice.

Questions I'd like answered if possible:

-What ski would you suggest?

-What binding? Std (10-12 roughly depending on boot) or XL (10-14)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Baller
I have the radar vice and love it. If you just free ski i would not go with the senate C, it will not flex and be rough to ride in the rougher waters free skiing. Go with the regular, and less expensive senate or vice. Not spoken from experience, just the good advice I got from the radar rep and the guys at Munson ski and marine. Totally made sense to me. I can relate as well. I was skiing a 10+ year old hoe extreme. Huge improvement.

I'm in the same boat. I must have read every word ever typed about the same skis you named. The Superlite seems a touch more agrgessive than the Senate-C, with the latter being a bit more stable, cheaper, and... ::cough::coolerlooking::cough:: Excuse me. I found a twice ridden`13 Senate-C on Ski-it-again.com and jumped on it. I hope to ride it in the next couple of weeks.

I wear a 11.5 shoe and got the standard size Vector. Fits great! Though my foot is somewhat on the narrow side.. It's a nice snug fit.. But, if your Dad is going to be using ski to you may want to go with XL. Feather frame is lighter. That's what I have.. Seems pretty solid.

okay thanks. I have a narrow foot as well and I am worried about the XL being too big.

Everyone has been really helpful so far but I have one more question.

That is, my season is almost done for the year and I was wondering if I should: wait until the 2014 line comes out, try and get the 2013 cheaper in the winter, or upgrade now. Buying now I would probably get 2-3 weekends out of it.

• Baller

@adirondackski the only two shops I know of selling Radar in NE are Parafunalia in Gilford NH (Lake Winnipesaukee) and Sunsports in Naples ME (Long Lake).

My guess in the Std would work for you.

I have a Std Vector on an aluminum plate, a few years old but barely used. Not for sale, but you are welcome to try it for sizing. Andover MA during days (I'm out of town til the 18th)

• Baller
@adirondackski...I'm familiar with your plight regarding only 2-3 more weeks to ski. I grew up skiing Brant Lake, NY. I still get back there every summer. Regarding your question about buying now or waiting...I would say wait... and spend the fall and winter on ski-it-again.com. No doubt you will come across a great deal if you are patient. Winters in the northeast demand patience!