Jump Tips

Beans

• Baller

So, this is my first post, and it's not about slalom (quickest panda ever?)

I'm jumping on 88" (we think) Connelly's on a 5ft ramp at 32 mph and with the boat at regular split. The problem I have is sometimes I feel my skis slip and that puts me back on the skis which then makes me let go with my left hand to keep my balance over the skis. It doesn't always happen, but it's definitely something I want to fix so it never happens. Any other tips on how to go farther would be much appreciated. I really want to join the Century Club before the season ends.

And if it matters, I'm 5'9", 170lbs, and we think I've made a few stabs into the 90s before. All videos are the passenger seat of a 1991 PS190

Thanks for any help you can give!

Looks pretty good! I would say as far as slipping out you might be letting up at the base of the ramp. If you focus on just pulling through right to the top left corner i dont think you will have the problem. For going further i would say get wider on the boat on your 3/4 and then be more progressive in your cut to the ramp, if you get on it really hard out of the turn you wont gain speed, if you progressively cut harder and harder it will accelerate you into the bottom on the ramp! Hope this helps!

• Baller

I'll give you the same advice I used to get in the '70s and '80s. "Cut later and kick it".

How are your singles? It's hard to see your position at the base, but looks like you are back a bit and that your back is "rounded". I'd keep working on going harder into the base on the ball of your right foot, with the pull locked in from your core (your sling? I can't see it) through your right foot. Straighten your back and move the whole package forward so that you are digging on that right foot and don't let up. Relax your arms.

Love the commentary from the boat on the first two videos. Either the observer was seeing jump for the first time ever or he is a really good jumper and not impressed.

• Baller

@jimbrake I don't have a sling, but the rest of that I feel like I can work on still. And since I don't have one, I want the pull to come through my left arm, correct? And the guys recording that are collegiate jumpers but for some reason everybody I know feels like I shouldn't be good at things for some reason so they were really surprised that I was going that far.

One piece of above I've gotten that I've been working with is "Wait as long as you can where you know you'll barely make it on the jump, and then count to 3"

• Baller

+1 on kindly. It looks like you are sitting back on your skis, even pulling out on your counter. Also looks like you are starting with your skis wide and turning with your left ski. It looks like you're keeping a lot of weight on your left foot. Like kindly said get your handle to your left knee. Skis will slip out if you are not balanced over them. if your skis are apart they will slip. You are cutting hard enough to warrant a sling.

• Baller
You are not actually going to get the handle all the way over to your left knee. You are trying to get your shoulders, knees, hips, and skis all pointing in the same direction. The top left corner of the ramp. The tendency is for your shoulders to open to the boat, like in slalom. You want to resist that, and people will say get your handle to your left knee, they really mean keep the handle down and in, and don't open your shoulders to the boat. A sling will actually help that. I would also work on getting your skis together and get up on the balls of your feet. Both starting in your turn for the ramp.

• Baller
@Beans - yes, through your left arm and I like what the others said - right foot on the gas all the way through the ramp and hands to left knee (in effort, not reality). Just do it like Freddy. Look at the line between his left shoulder, hands, and right foot and his straight back. Like that.

• Baller
I agree with all that has been said above. Like @jwr said, keeping your shoulders closed to the ramp and not open to the boat is key. Chest definitely needs to come up from the wakes to the ramp. When working on a solid cut, I practiced cutting and took notice to my skis' position - close together (width wise) and my right ski about 3 or so inches in front of my left ski. That is essentially where it will be if you are "right foot on the gas" and your left ski should barely be in contact with the water. Relaxing your arms is pretty self explanatory - don't have a death grip on the handle.