A3+reflex

KcSwerver

• Baller

Just got my a3 yesterday, it looks AWESOME

When I was setting it up, I put my reflex at 29.5" from tail, wich put it at the very furthest back the screws and holes would allow. When I showed my dad the ski, he got all up in a huff saying that the ski would ski too aggressive the way I set it up, and that I wouldn't have any where to move back in order to make the ski more aggressive (apparently when he was skiing in the 80's and 90's he said people would start in the middle hole and move back to be more aggressive) I understand that his logic is fairly dated but he is really convinced (and won't listen to me at all) and that the middle of the holes doesn't necessarily mean stock, ALWAYS MEASURE.

My question is, since he is so sure that the middle of the hole is where I should start, how would be a good way to approach him to rationalize the fact that that isn't necessarily correct. It got to the point where he said he wouldn't pull me with the ski set up where it is. (With the binding all the way back in hole spots, yet still in stock 29.5"

Thanks in advance!

-Hoping to even get to ski,

Bryan

• Baller

@mattp I have tried, and I'm almost laughing at how easy it is to understand that this sport is full of super precise things (binding, fin, ski shape, technique and body position) all adding up to be the product "slalom" and that a general hole on a binding plate is no where near precise enough for our sports standard.

I'm actually going on a pretty good rage here because I'm quite angry about simple this situation should be, and how complicated it is.

• Baller
You could mention to him that a dedicated HO binding would probably be at stock settings in the centre holes, but as a Reflex plate is made for use on most manufacturer's skis stock settings will be different through the manufacturing range, that is why there are so many holes in the plate.

• Baller

@KcSwerver I've skied with my bindings at 30 and the ski actually feels great, but when I had the bindings that far forward I couldn't get any width on the boat. Skied really good at 28 and 32, but was a problem at 35 and 38. Moved the binder back, and now 35 is pretty easy.

I would show your dad the HO website with the stock settings, and show him that your are at stock settings for that ski.

• Baller
In super impressed that you got the fin clamp to work. I skied on the 9900 a few days back and it works like a charm. Funny thing is, when goode sent the ski back to me they put a new fin clamp on. So now I have 3! If anyone out there needs a new, never used goode fin clamp I'd sell it to you. Just shoot me a pm.