Binding and Fin Placement Question

TDET

Last week we took my sons binding off his 66 A3. His binding is a radar strada. When we put it back on we accidentally forgot to put the two center screws in. His last 3 nights he has done 3 pb's at 36 mph. He has also has a few pb's for wipeouts in the process because the ski skips out from under him at the apex of the turn. Tonight we noticed that the binding has moved completely forward because of the missing center screws. He has done better with the binding forward but I don't know what to do with the fin to keep the ski from skipping out. Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom

• Baller
I would set the bindings to the stock recommendation and verify that your fin is also set to stock. Then if you want you can experiment with moving the bindings forward small increments and see how he likes it. The fact he is setting PB's for skiing AND wipeouts at the accidental binding placement would have me concerned. Chasing a fin setting to optimize an accidental binding placement seems like a hard way to go. Start with what previously worked and make small adjustments to try and make it better. Then again maybe you have stumbled upon some magical top secret settings.

• Baller
@TDET It sounds like your son likes an easier turning ski but the big move forward was too much for that ski. Try moving back to stock binding placement or forward one hole (properly measured, not necessarily the middle hole of the binding plate). Then use the fin to achieve an easier turning setup. First make sure the fin is properly set to factory settings. After skiing with a confirmed factory setup, if easier turning would still help, more info/video will be needed before fin recommendations can be suggested.

• Baller
Could be form as well. If he leans back a little as the norm, he would benefit from more ski in the water, so set the bindings to stock and make sure he isn't skiing off the tail. Then you can make adjustments to the fin to get more tip in the water. Add length or take away depth, or move fin back, all would be in that general direction..