Rash guard for warmth or light wetsuit top suggestions

cragginshred

• Baller
I have an Oneill Gooru sleeveless top that is great. Ski Dawg has one as well. We have always called it the "Jamie top" as we saw him wearing it and thought it was really cool. I use it tons in the fall and spring. I also put it on under my long sleeve wet suit shirt as an extra layer when it gets cooler. If it gets cooler than that... I go shooting wearing flannel.

• Baller

Camaro.

Light, warm, way thinner than the others, won't know its on. Suggest long sleeve. Fits tight enough it doesn't bag and extends its temperature range. Add neo shorts and you can wear it down to some pretty low temps, particularly if you tuck it in the neo shorts so water doesn't go up on the drops.

O'Neill used to have a fleece-like top, intended for surfing. Forgot the marking but it feels like fleece shirt. You feel it a lot less than any neoprene, have a full range of movement and it really keeps you warm. 13 ounce or something like that. Was difficult to find before, now nearly impossible.

• Baller
Warm n fuzzy was the drytop with fleece lining. Ronny also put out a drytop with a felt- like liner. Maybe someone is still making them for kayaking or some other sport. I have two Ronny tops I use and have a brand new one in plastic. Bought 4 when I heard they were stopping production.

• Baller

I wear an O'neill Gooru with long sleeves all season. It is really flexible and has glideskin. There is also a fleecey interior. Our water just barely peaks at 70 but the majority of time it's around 66ish. Also, have a 3/2 shortie. I can't stay in either of them in the boat after skiing so I switch to whatever is dry.

What are you guys calling too cold for top or shortie? To me it's more about the air temperature when it comes to the drysuit. Just don't want to be wet when I get out.

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/2669/media/images/ONeill_Gooru_2mm_LS_Spring_560758_i0.jpg

• Baller
I am wearing a ONeil 2mm top in 66 degree water and only get cold arms when I get out of the water. Has anybody tried a 2 mm excel top and how would that compare to a 1.5 mm Camaro. If Camaro made a 2 mm top I would buy that.

• Supporting Member

The numbers are not comparable. Get the Camaro and be amazed.

I am an uberwuss and the thin Camaro top is easily enough for me in 66 deg water.

I'm pretty sure the Camaro is made by that supersuit lady from The Incredibles.

• Baller

Um...is there a problem being too warm while skiing in a really thin shorty? Why a top only? OK I get it if you are in the deep south.

@vic Get a Camaro long sleeve shorty and enjoy some time on the water. You won't be too warm IN the water. Out of the water if there's a chill it absorbs the suns energy like no other and keeps you toasty. I've had ski partners chattering their teeth while I'm ready to break a sweat before my next set. If that's too toasty between sets zip out of the top. Bonus no having to mess with your shorts after the hole shot (and in my case no "swamp things" biting where they don't belong).

We are about 73 degree water temp right now, air temp ski time anywhere from 65 early a.m. to 85 mid-day. I'm loving the Camaro long sleeve shorty...my first season with it and very impressed.

• Baller
By experience, rash guard is not warm. When it is wet......no more warm unless the water is warm. I have a gooru 1.5 O'Neill and it makes the job in the morning especially when it is cold outside and water temp near 60F