Rope Release - Is there a right way and a wong way?

Horton

• Administrators

I was going to make a rope release from a piece of old slalom rope and am not sure it that is right.

Is that what the kids are doing these days?

• Baller

I can't beleive you asked this... Call your father, Ellie or @eleeski

I see people using both these days. Depends on your preference. Rope=no mechanical parts to fail, just need a pinner who can hold your weight..

Wait you are going to do toes? Take video!

• Baller_
You can get two nice rope releases out of the 15 off section of a masterline slalom rope. two out of the 22 off section also. Come spend a weekend at TrickfagLand in SRB you will learn almost everything their is to know about trick skiing...........And maybe slalom too!!

• Baller

It needs to be approx 3' long with a sole loop on one end. I do not recommend anything longer and don't "burn/seal" the cut end.

Don't loop the rope around the pylon like a slalom rope but instead pass the tail end thru the loop (creates a new loop) and the over the pylon. Thread the release rope thru the end of the trick ski rope and wrap the loose end around the pylon once only. It's super critical I make sure the ski rope loop doesn't get on the pylon side I any knots in the release rope (specifically the knot which holds the loop together). If its on the wrong side of that knot tbe rope is bound to hang up rather than slide off cleanly.

Trust your release person when using a rope release.

If anyone still wants a video on using a rope release, let me know and I'll make one. I've used a rope release for at least 15 years and never had any problem using it - no jams or unintentional releases. Trickers up to 200 pounds only one wrap around the pylon.

• Baller

Do some people have rope "thimbles" in their trick line loops? Would think it makes for

a smoother release and no line-on-line wearing. Note: there are plastic (nylon) rope

thimbles. Probably don't want to use metal thimbles, out of concern with dinging stuff

on the boat.

No thimbles. Just take the 15 off section, cut it 36" long, let the end fray (Do not seal) and slip the loop over the pylon as you would a slalom loop. Slide the loop of the trick rope over the open cut section, wrap the cut section twice around the pylon just below the shoulder of the pylon.

• Baller

11.16 Tricking Equipment and Definitions

C....

A rope trick release mechanism up to 60cm (24”) may be used

24" seems a tad short. Where is that 24" measured? from the pylon to the loose end? the total rope length when not on the pylon? from the pylon to where it meets the tow line loop?

• Baller

@dchristman Longer ropes allow the release person to help the skier. With a short rope, the release person can't help the skier. I've never seen a rope release measured - the long ones are clearly out and there's always been a short one handy to keep things right.

In practice, the longer rope is a bit more comfortable. It might be slightly more dangerous (more rope to slide out) but if you are doing it right the rope release is fairly safe.

For really little kids, I'm coming to like the rope release better than the Robbins. I hold the rope with no wraps on the pylon and it lets go with very light loads. I have to swing the arm of the Robbins to get the same low load.

For me, I want the Robbins. I pull so hard and so erratically that I need a wrap on the pylon and an operator holding tight. I've gotten much less smooth releases from the rope release than the Robbins. I don't notice the jerk it takes to trip the Robbins.

@osuskiiershea Maybe you can get the team to get a Robbins (with the handle @osuskiiershea I'm assuming you are in college). Borrow a rope release at a tournament and copy it as a backup.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski It seems to me the intent of the length rule is to limit cheating. Rule 11.18B saysManipulation of the tow rope by the release person during the performance of tricks is prohibited. isn't this "no cheating" rule enough?

Realistically, I'll probably end up using the Robbins release in tournaments because I am more likely to find the human component that is familiar with the Robbins onsite (I don't pack the human component) , however...

The length rule is unclear to me. It is also slightly inaccurate - 60cm does not equal 24 inches. If the rule is in the book, it ought to be described as accurately as the rules for slalom rope dimensions so that if an official decides to measure, there is no room for argument. There may be a short one handy, but what if someone decides to measure your rope after your run?

• Baller
@dchristman All the tournaments that I have attended the last five years, I have been more likely to find a reliable rope release person much sooner than anyone with experience with a Robins release.

• Baller
@ntx I am assuming you don't ski in the northeast... If I find someone at Lake Holly this weekend that is experienced with a legal (whatever that means) 24" rope release and is willing to release for me, I would be happy to have him or her.

• Baller

@dchristman I ski in the Northeast but not in VA so I won't be at Lake Holly. I believe you will find someone familiar with a rope release. That said if you have a Robbins release I don't know why you don't use that instead. The Robbins release functionally does what a rope release does and I believe is safer and simpler to use. If someone is holding the rope in their fingers on a Robbins there is almost no way to hold someone in when they fall on toes. With the wrap of a rope release you can hold someone or the release can be a little late.

I am interested to know why you would prefer rope over the Robbins.

• Baller

@chef23 I don't want to make this a North vs. South, East vs. West, heelside vs. onside, Miss Swiss vs. "your balls" thing. I refer you to this previous thread for background.

I am willing to use whatever release I feel comfortable having someone use on me and they are comfortable using ... I am no longer considering a split pin as an option. I'm sure I could get Dave Robbins to release for me with his release if we weren't in the same division.

My comfort level is currently higher with the rope release based on my prior experience with the Robbins and my weight. I'm a little guy - not a giant like Dave Robbins. This plays into @eleeski 's notion of great for little kids, but not as great for himself. I'm like an old(er) little kid. I could not imagine using a rope release for Dave Robbins... especially a 24" one with limited ability to wrap it around the pylon to get him out of the water!

• Baller

@jcamp Make the rope release with 2 meters of slalom rope. Splice the rope in half by feeding the fid all the way down the rope. No knots just a loop that fits over the pylon. Make sure the ends are smooth (no burns or knots anywhere and I don't like a big fray at the end so I trim my old ones).

Loop the release rope on the pylon. Put the release rope end through the trick rope end loop and pull it about 6" away from the pylon. Wrap the release rope around the pylon a couple times to get the skier up. Before toes, unwrap the rope! For light skiers, I hold the rope pinned against the pylon with one hand and hold the rest of the rope so it won't hang up on anything on the way out. For heavier skiers, I wrap the release rope 1/4 turn (1/2 turn for a big skier doing big tricks) and clamp it with my hand. Again hold the other end to assure it has a straight exit path.

I find the hand clamping the rope against the pylon is much quicker and safer than hanging on to the rope. It also is a more positive connection with no movement. Wraps on the pylon give a slow inconsistent release and a painful drag even with a timely release. I will wrap it for hands as a backup but if it's critical (some hands need a release) I'll clamp it. A bit hard on the release person's hands - the Robbins is much easier on the pinner if I'm coaching all day.

I'm pretty sure the length standard changed to 1m length. 24" was too short for safety. With that said, use the 24" release for little kids. It is really easy to hold them - most I won't even touch the pylon with the release and I want their rope clear fast.

One last hint, make sure your trick rope has a section of thick (slalom) rope for its last loop. The thin spectra doesn't release as well off the rope release (or the Robbins!).

Eric

• Baller
A word of caution for pylons without the flange below where you attach the rope like the older 196. The rope wrapped around the pylon can slide up and get caught against the rope at the attachment point slowing the release. My solution to that is to remember to keep my Robbins release with me if there's the possibility of skiing behind such a boat. Anybody have a no hardware solution to preventing that?