Help with tourney nerves?

Ilivetoski

• Baller
Those are all good tips, I heard a pro skier say she won by thinking 1 buoy at a time-that worked for me alot. I never know whats gonna happen out there so for awhile I would focus only on a proper pullout and gate-this also worked. Sometimes I think I have so much fun skiing I forget I'm an athlete, so I will occasionally try to act like one.

• Baller

The article OB posted is great. I also recommend a book called 10 minute toughness. But that article is much more to the point.

For me, the more I skied tournaments, the more I realized that no one else really cared how I skiied. Everyone there was only concerned about their own scores! That alone takes away a lot of pressure.

The only people that have a vested interest are your ski partners....and you ski with them every day in practice!

• Baller

Next tourney round: Keep working on whatever you're working on in practice.....if it's making sure your handle doesn't leave your hip on your offside, concentrate on that one thing. IF you're working on the glide of your gate and staying wide to start early, concentrate on that...

One other tip is to have someone watch for that one thing you're working on during you're set. Don't try to have 10 things you're working on---just one.

• Baller
I just think about it as another practice set. When I get on the dock I'm thinking about how great it is that I get a turn behind a new boat with a great driver on a nice site. It also helps to run some 3 round tournaments just because then you don't feel like you have one shot to ski well.

• Baller
a great resource for sports psychology is Dr. Jim Taylor - http://drjimtaylor.com/2.0/blog-2/ - plenty of information and thoughts on preparation and competition. For me, when I was missing openers consistently, it helped to focus on just a single thing ie. knee bend through the gate, or level shoulders at the 1 ball. If I did that, the pass was a success regardless of buoy count. And it led to much fewer missed openers.