WARNING - Do not over tighten Radar Strada bindings

skifan

• Baller

Last week I was skiing on my A2 with Strada front and rear bindings. I usually pull the front bungee pretty snug as I like to feel secure to the ski and leave the back a bit loose. Well last week as I went around two ball I hit some small chop and the ski skipped out from under and skidded across the water. Not a horrific crash, however my front foot only half release from binding. As a result I severely sprained the top of my foot and broke my Talus bone in my foot. I am now off my feet for 3 months to let the bone heal. Luckily it's the end of the season up here in MA.

I am only posting as a reminder to make sure that you are able to release from any binding that you are using to try to avoid a similar injury.

I am considering moving to Reflex front for next season as I like the ankle support and the release mechanism are separate from each other- any input?

• Baller

This is one of the biggest reasons I went to Reflex. Had many falls like you describe above this year and have been fine. I was having a little ankle trouble earlier and realized my release system was a little too tight. Loosened it up and it's been awesome.

On the plus side, if you change over the winter, you'll be learning to ski and learning a new bindings all at once so it won't be like being at the peak of your skiing and going back to square one.

• Baller

Several years ago I was skiing with an Open Collegiate skier who shall remain nameless. Noticed that he had removed the stretchy laces from his RS1's and had something like para cord on there "so it will stay tight". He took a viscous crash at 39 and luckily the screw heads actually pulled through the plate releasing the binding.

He got back in the boat, looked at the binding, and said (In a foreign accent) "I will have to call Sully about the binding breaking like this". Even though I wanted to completely loose my mind, I calmly explained that he had over ridden the release mechanism of the binding and that I felt he was very lucky to not be seriously injured. He looked at me like I was nuts...

• Baller
Funny thing, at the Ski With The Legends a few weeks ago I was driving while Kris LaPoint was coaching, he ask 3 different skiers on hard shells to loosen their top buckle a couple clicks. He said you need to control the ski with the bottom of the foot not the shin. He recommends the first 2 buckles tight and the top one loose.

• Baller

I made this mistake 2 hours ago and coming around 3 ball at 28 off out of position I skipped the ski out and slid across the water, my back foot came out of the toe strap and the water caught the tip of the ski and jammed it towards me. My foot did not come out and I jammed my ankle pretty good. Second set I didn't over tighten and fixed a pulling position problem and had a lot more fun. You need to tighten it enough to feel like the ski will respond to your movements but not any tighter than that.

• Baller
My issue with strada's is they feel like a low top tennis shoe and if you set 'em up so that you will come out, they are loose. If I snug 'em to where I want them...not sure I come out. Now I couldn't ski worth a dink in 'em either, so easy choice to switch regardless. Personal preferences for sure...but I want a tight binding but want to come out and/or release.