Help! 97 SN. Not something I've heard of or seen before.

Wish

• Baller_

The the portion of the exhaust system that quiets the noise is cracked about half way down the unit on the side. Water comes out. Noticed bilge pump running often. Checked the usual with the engine off saw nothing. Turned the motor on and hello poring water. The smile crack is a tad more then an inch long, horizontal and there seems to be a second pin hole just below. Any ideas how to fix this?. I'm assuming the unit is made of fiberglass. Can I glass layers over it?. Anyone seen this before?

3638cee0699d82e10185b467ba05d2.jpg

• Baller

It would be easier to repair once removed but I wouldn't think it's required. Just make sure you sand everything really well, route out the cracked area, and clean it up really well as epoxy resin won't bond well to water and/or exhaust soot.

With that rubber spacer there, you might be able to presoak a fiberglass plies and just wrap them all the way around and pull tight. Will be messy if you do it in the boat but nothing a little paint and water won't clean up.

• Baller_

You can glass over it to repair, I would suggest removing to fix to ensure a good, solid fix. I would recommend drilling a hole at each end of the crack to stop further propagation & lay on a nice fiberglass patch using epoxy resin. Removing the pipe will also allow you to thoroughly dry the pipe to ensure a good bond & long lasting result.

If you need it to make it a few more weeks or for a short time, simply take an inner tube and hose clamp a simple band aid over the crack for a short term fix. That does work.

• Baller

I repaired mine. Removed the muffler, sanded and dried it then epoxy/glassed it. The repair has lasted for years.

I field repaired it with a big stainless steel hose clamp and some rubber. That worked OK.

Even I will remove the old muffler before slopping resin on it. You will not get acceptable bonding unless the part is clean, oil free, dry and roughed up adequately. Plus, gravity will assist the layup.

Good luck, Eric

• Baller_
Thank guys. Looks like I will have to remove it. Any tips there? It's only been on there since 1997 and almost 1000hrs. Should just slide off right??? Also @Jody_Seal, your comment scares me. How bad could the inside be?? What would a replace cost me?

• Baller

I've heard those mufflers go for around $500 bucks but have a look on correct craft fan forum:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=10&PN=2&title=boat-parts-for-sale

I've done a lot of fibreglass work and it's imperative to have no grease,water or oil stains on the outside of the surface you want to adhere more fibreglass to. So best to take it out but if you can't, use a degreasing agent. Even using Dawn dish soap with water and sponge will help. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Then blow dry but leave engine cover open and no conditioner!

Just repaired my '07 with 1850 hours. Same symptoms you described - warm water in bilge. Easy fix with alittle fiberglass repair kit. Even more convincing when you look at the price of a new one. Hard part is getting all hoses off. As mentioned above Dawn dish soap and warm water. Be sure to check inside muffler and check that the baffle hasn't broken loose. If so, you can get to it with a stick or brush to secure it.

• Baller_
@hogexpress how did you get the hoses off. That is my BIG concern with removal. With it being 1997 SN I'm guessing they have welded themselves on over time. Any suggestions welcome.!! @Jody_Seal any suggestions?

• Baller_
Impeller replaced along with thermostat in the last yr trying to track down a somewhat overheat issue. In the warm summer water temps here in FL the temp will climb to 200 after a run through the course and then left to idle. Drops back down to 170 underway. This time of yr with water under 80 it seems fine. Been feeling like its a water flow issue. Was told old manifolds to be the cause as all hoses and tranny cooler were checked. Yr and hours would suggest that. Freshwater only boat BTW. What's your thought @BraceMaker?

• Baller

Enough heat will delaminate fiberglass - the rubber hoses will sometimes bubble etc.

I would just be curious if one of your mufflers started failing, if you noticed anything associated - particularly on the same side of the engine... rubber hose failure - if you'd lost an impeller with chunks missing and not retrieved I would consider looking for those bits.

A bit intimidating at first, but I was able to wrestle them off. The hard part came in putting it all back together. My advice for the reinstall is to work from back of boat forward. I found it easier to manipulate/bend the hoses coming straight off the manifold risers because I had more 'play' in those hoses and could slide them around more. Soap and water is your friend. Oh, and I also used Nitrile gloves- they grip the hoses really well.

• Baller

ironically, my buddy tackled this job over the past weekend. He also has a 97 (500 or so hours I believe), noticed the bilge pump running more frequently and finally traced it back to underside of muffler. The rubber pad had shifted causing muffler to chafe on hull. After removal, interior of muffler was intact.

He found the easiest way to remove the muffler was to remove the riser from the top of each manifold...which means you need to order two replacement gaskets for re-assembly ($8 each). He then had a helper twist/rotate the riser and attached hoses while he used thumbs, WD40 and a screwdriver to gently work the hose off the muffler. Said took less than 10 minutes each side.

• Baller

The fiberglass muffler does not seem to be prone to plugging up. Mine seemed to be just some opposing direction open tubes which should pass any debris that might get through the manifolds. My muffler failure was either due to the chafing or stepping on the muffler when servicing something with the cover all the way out. It did not plug up and burn up.

Manifolds are subject to plugging up with either debris or scale and rust. I don't know how to assess the level of obstruction without taking the manifolds off and apart. That is quite invasive. Watch the temp gauges and be aware of the status of the engine.

Eric

• Baller_

Ok, taken a crack (pun intended) at this while muffler silencer is still in the boat. Photo is obviously sideways. If someone can rotate horizontal, great. Was able to prop it up off the floor enough. Red line represents the crack (spidered a bit). Blue dots represent where I should drill holes????? Yes???. Have been able to sand a good distance all around the cracks. Enough I believe. So, worried about drilling, not knowing what's on the other side. But will do if that's the recommendation. Also, motor has not been run and it's been on the lift for days but water is weeping (crazy slow) out of the crack. That's why you see shadowing around the red line.

1) do I drill where the blue dots are and what size bit?

2) do I need to stop the weeping before glassing and if so how?

3) what should it be prepped with before glassing?

4) how many layers of glass should I apply?

eeb7f6d79fe90dce7b0426469a3307.jpg

• Baller
@wish I have a similar water problem in my 97SN also and after seeing your post I believe it may be the same issue. Just had a look at my baffle and found it has already had a repair in the same spot. I will be testing on Tuesday and think I may find it's now underneath that has a crack. I'll report back.

@wish yes it needs to be dry. So although not necessary to drill to stop the cracking you could drill to get the water out. I had this problem on a MC and I just removed the hole thing from the boat, fiberglass can messy and the prep work will require sanding to make sure you have a good rough surface for adhesion of the patch repair. You do not want it to leak. Just remember if its leaking water, it is also leaking exhaust gasses.

Without getting into all the details and weights of fiberglass cloth, just patch it with a ""chopped strain" piece and go well beyond the area of the crack. Once that dries sand it lightly to knock down the pokies and reapply more resin and cloth if needed.

• Baller_
No leaks. I and others think its corrosion in the manifolds. They are original to the 97 and 1000hrs. Flow issue there I think. But will check again. Well, I just went for it and glassed it in. We will see.

• Baller

Wish - Check the swirlers - they are at the end of the cast iron and swirl the water out & around the exhaust tubes to keep the rubber & fiberglass parts cool. I had the same problem with the fiberglass 135 deg. angles. Just wire brush and a little rustoleum.

Pay particular attention to those if you operate in salt water... Learned the hard way.

• Baller

@Wish I cleaned out a bit of my plugged up manifolds by forcing a piece of welding rod up the manifold outlet. Take off the big rubber hose to expose the exit of the manifold. Stick the welding rod into the water holes and work it around. Harder than it sounds as I encountered quite a bit of blockage and had to work pretty hard at it. I think I got things started with a drill through the visible plugs at the end and worked up with the welding rod (not an approved @Jody_Seal repair). It did cool things down a bit. There were other issues with the manifolds and I eventually replaced them completely (the approved Jody Seal repair). Surprisingly, the replacement was not that hard or expensive and the boat ran a lot better for a long time. Use anti seize on all the bolts in case you keep the boat long enough to need new manifolds again.

@Wish Another question - why didn't you remove the muffler to glass it? While it might be a bit sticky to loosen up the rubber (I run a thin flat screwdriver around the diameter to unstick things), the removal makes the glassing (and inspection) much easier. If your glasswork doesn't work, it may be too damp. Pull it off, dry it and sand off the bad resin and redo it - if it leaks.

Or get one of those fancy new ZO complete engines...

Eric

• Baller_
@eleeski Well, it was just to accessible to consider pulling it. Pretty sure those hoses are well secured to it. I think I actually got it. I think the part I always worry about is did I put enough hardener in the mix. Hope so.

• Baller
@wish I tested mine yesterday as I said and discovered my leak is actually the water pick up through hull, so I'm of no help sorry. But I do have a decent size patch on the side of the baffle somebody else had already done. Good luck with it.

• Baller
@Wish, Enough hardener in the mix....if it sets up and isn't tacky you're good. If still tacky 6-8'hours later put another coat of resing on with more hardener. Too little is better than too much, it will be brittle. The over heating you mentioned most likely caused the problem. Has it gotten louder? If so your baffles are burned put. That what Jody meant (I'm pretty sure) when he said "imagine what the inside looks like".

• Baller_
@ LeonL Hmmm? Louder?. I don't want to admit it but yes....a little I think. Hard to say. It's been so gradual over a long time. And I'm comparing to late model 196s I ski behind. It's not MC or Boo loud by any stretch. Still has that Nautique sound.....maybe louder. Ok, let's assume baffle is shot. Can that do any further harm?

• Baller_
Well, no leaks that I can tell. Theres always a little water sloshing around but after 2 sets the bilge is the driest I've ever seen it in a long time. Bilge pump never ran. Gonna give it a few weeks before calling it a success. Thanks for all the advice!!!! BOS is AEWSOME!

• Baller
@Wish, if you've burned out baffles, or just damaged them due to overheating, no further problems should arise. Just louder. Glad the leak is fixed, but still should look into the excessive heat that was mentioned.

• Baller_

@LeonL thanks. That make me feel a little better. The boat is not all that noticeably louder then other SN I've recently been in sooo thinkn not worth replacing..yet. Have run 6 sets and all is good.

With that said, @otisg "the swirlers"?? have not heard of that before. Where exactly are they and how do I get to them? Your cleaning out method? Is it what @eleeski is describing??

• Baller_
@Wish: another area for increased noise would be less water flow. The water mixing with the exhaust is a form of baffle in the system. Before digging in to the mufflers, unless you know they have an issue, I would change your impeller and check the results. I have seen an impeller change make a difference. If you have a similar boat that you ski behind, simply look at the amount of water coming out when at ski speed. In addition, the rubber baffle at the tip also does an impressive job of additional noise reduction. Check for damage or ease of being pushed open.

• Baller_
@DW Thanks will look. I't been a long term prob. Impeller, therm, changed as well as all possible connections and seals looked at. Kinda thing it's the old manifolds. But will look all that over again. Been a bit since I have.

@wish, if you've got a clear plastic "sediment bowl" screen strainer on the raw water input, check for hairline cracks at the top of the bowl where it meets the threaded rim. Antifreeze left in the bowl over winter attacks the plastic and rots it, creating cracks. Hard to see, but the result is the raw water pump sucks air as well at water.

Also, disconnect the inlet hose from the thru hull fitting, clamp in a garden hose and run that to a 5 gallon bucket. Run the engine while using the bucket as your cooling source, and refilling it with a garden hose with a hand squeeze nozzle on it. Anywhere from 40 to 60 psi water supply, you should just barely be able to keep up with the engine sucking water by refilling the bucket continuously with the squeeze nozzle wide open. If you CAN easily keep up with the engine slightly above idle, something is wrong somewhere in the raw water system.

Pretty crude measurement, but has worked for me for years, on many different boats.

• Baller_

Well, resurrecting this old thread. Had a small leak in the muffler silencer again. I glassed it. It's fine now. While waiting for it to dry, I went ahead and changed the impeller. I'm pretty sure after doing this and water testing, I have 0 water go through the system based on heat, and sound. What I did do to dry out the muffler system before working on it was to flush out some water in the system by running the boat for a few seconds to push out water while up on the lift.

The impeller install went well I thought. Pulled the whole pump off boat and did the job on the bench and reinstalled. I see no leaks at all with regards to the pump. All hose clamps were tightened. Surprised that most of them I could do a full turn and then some but all tight now.

Having flushed exhaust to do the muffler repair, have I stopped the pump from being able to prime? Do I need to fill the system with water somehow.

What else would cause it not to prime if not from flushing.

• Baller_
Crap, was gonna make this into a contest and see who would be the first to guess what stupid thing I did. But the "Boat Whisperer" aleady did. I have come to dislike the engineers a Sherwood for making an item that can be installed upside down. Thanks @Jody_Seal‌ you win.