Ski setup

ForrestGump

• Baller
So, I made a change to the setup on my Prophecy. It had been sticking a bit on the back side of 2/4(offside) and was taking a little bit bigger radius turn than I wanted. A big dawg skier on Saturday suggested moving the front binding back. That cured the sticking. But wow did it speed up the way the ski comes back under the rope off the apex. It didn't make it harder, it made it much quicker. Especially on side, which would be expected. So my question is..... do you think a ski can be too quick to rotate back in under the rope? My thought is that Mapple would say to get it to rotate and come back inbound as quickly as possible. I can get used to it and actually liked it. My only thought is that I can have such a big 1/3/5 turn that my margin of error goes down. Thoughts?

• Administrators

@ShaneH Yes a ski can turn too hard or too fast. The trick is to have the most angle and speed that you can control. What I personally love about the Prophecy is that I seem to get tons of angle out of off side without losing control.

One thing to keep in mind is that as the rope gets shorter you are generally going to turn harder and faster. If the ski is too aggressive on your early pass it will often suck at your hardest pass.

Again turning hard is not the hard part. Being in controlling is.

• Baller_

"....do you think a ski can be too quick to rotate back in under the rope? ". Too quick? Nope. Too much angle? Yes. You want the ski to turn with the max angle that you can hold on to and accelerate smoothly without hitching.

For your big 1/3/5 turn you need to find the root cause before fixing. Could be ski setup or something you are doing at the wakes or preturn coming into the buoy.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield I know exactly what causes the big turn with too much angle thanks to @Horton. Although I hate to admit he helped me. lol. Too much counter at the apex and then my body is a big spring that's got to unwind coming back to the handle. I'm working on it. If I'm late, it can get me out of trouble. When I'm early or normal in the course, it kills me.