Reflex toe plate *trickski*

KcSwerver

• Baller

Why do you need a toe plate at all? Toe plates in the factory inserts do place the rear foot where it belongs. But the placement of a trick rear toe is no where near as critical as a slalom binding. I learned with no rear binding at all - just nonskid. Once you get to W5s and ski lines you will need a minimal rear toe. Flips might need a heel strap. Some people are using modified hard shells for rear toes - but the factory inserts are completely irrelevant in that case.

I only use toe plates when a ski will be shared by right and left foot skiers - like college skiers using the team ski. For a personal ski, the rear toe plate is just extra weight.

Get the rear rubber and horseshoe pieces from Wileys or Reflex or wherever. You probably don't need the rubber overlay (unless you are advertising for the ski company). Mount as if it were on the plate but straight into the ski. Use the same rubber nonskid as a factory setup. Now you have a lighter cheaper rear toe.

Have fun with it,

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski although your word on tricking is the best there is on BOS I really do want to have the toe strap, I have always skied on a toe plate with my slalom and the stance on the trick ski with the angled back foot is so foreign to me (at this point) that I really do need something mildly holding my foot in place.

My main goal was to see if the masterline toe plate would fit because I could get one for much much cheaper.

• Baller

@KcSwerver I no longer recommend starting with no back binding at all. As a developing skier where the angled foot is foreign to you, you do need as much movement in that back foot as the binding will give you. I would certainly recommend removing the overlay as this will make the rear toe more flexible (and comfortable and lighter). While you have it apart. Nascar out the plate (drill lightening holes) and if the Reflex ski has non standard inserts for the rear toe (Masterline is the standard - or at least good enough to be the standard) drill matching holes in the plate you can get for cheap. Make sure you use padded nonskid!

@ShaneH I am shocked that Reflex requires a Reflex rear plate. Does the Reflex have inserts? If so, I can understand voiding the warranty if you drill a bunch of holes for a horseshoe (I spot reinforce my skis to accept screws - other placements won't work). D3 and Goode do not insert the rear toe. Quantum has multiple inserts to accommodate different rear stances. The rear placement is highly variable so any spot reinforcement has to be reasonably large. Or you will need a custom plate. Send the ski in blank for warranty service?

Plates are an easy way to deal with the rear toe. They offer uniform insert placement, allow some adjustment and make sharing skis easy. But this comes at a weight and fit penalty. The weight is not in a good place for the rear toe as it is far out from the center of rotation - and trick skis do rotate a lot. The firm fit also may encourage you to use your back foot - the back foot is just there to be out of the way with 10% of your weight on it max!

Reflex makes very light plates. Perhaps it is worth it to stay with Reflex. Or a custom drilled out G10 plate you make yourself. Or just suffer with a stiff clunky cheap plate. Lots of good skiers use them. But those skiers on a Leeski do have an advantage!

Eric