What is the best way to ship a slalom ski?

skifan

• Baller
In the box that it came in. UPS ground has usually worked fine for me. Just bubble wrap or crumple up some newspapers and stuff the ends good so it doesn't move around. You can add insurance if you want, I usually don't.

• Baller
I shipped ski earlier this year FedEx for around $50-60, I think. You can only insure them for up to $1,000 so many skis won't be fully covered. My ski made it 3 days earlier than it was supposed to and in perfect shape.

• Baller_
USPS is by far the cheapest and insurance is dirt cheap. Ask a local ski shop for a box if you don't have one. Anything you can do to make it not move around in the box helps greatly. If you simply cannot get a slalom box, make one. Local big box store (Home Depot) should have huge boxes (refidge box) that you can use. Make a triangle box (3 sides only). That shape is 10x stronger then any 4 sides box tube.

• Baller
When I ship my DBskis I construct a wood box using pine planed down to 1/2" for the sides and 1/8" luaun plywood for the top and bottom. I wrap the skis with bubble wrap and pack the box with newspaper or extra bubblewrap. With this set-up I don't have to worry about crazy handlers or sharp objects. It cost about $10-15 per box. I use the post office as I have found it the cheapest and insurance I believe is $1 per $100. The cost to ship is usually around $30. I also heard that Fed Ex and UPS will not accept a wood box.