oxidation on elite

skier2788

• Baller
I have an elite that looks like it is getting water oxidation on the top of it. Dried wiping it down with bottled water to see if it was from the lake. Goes away when wet shows when it dries. Any ideas on how to remove it. Not affecting the ski any just looks odd

• Baller

@skier2788 that's chalking and it happens to all epoxies over time when they are exposed to UV from the sun. The best way to remove it is to use abrasives like a light sandpaper. The best way to avoid it is to keep the ski out of the sun.

If you look under the boots or fin block there won't be any chalking there.

• Baller
@adamcord thanks for the info. How light of sand paper? Wet sand with 2000 grit? Would baking soda and a toothbrush work? It is just on the tip of the ski. Figured it was water related cause water always ponds there. Makes sense its from UV and chalking.

• Baller
@skier2788 I'd start with something in the ~400 range and then work up to 1000 or 2000 grit wet. It depends on how shiny you want it to look. And I agree with @JJVDMZN that wax will help protect it and also shine it up for you. You can wax the bottom if you want, I don't really buy into the myth that wax changes the ski performance.

• Baller
@adamcord thanks for the advice will try it here pretty soon. Part of what attracted me to the elite was the carbon fiber weave with the clear over. So I will definitely wax for the shine. I have a thing for simple graphics. Liked my old RS1 nice clean white. Like the mapple for the same reason.

• Baller

@Brewski, you drank some alcohol and forgot about it/could not see it anymore?

Sorry, could not resist... Congrats on your success with your skating boots, performance and great control are really key in that sport.

• Baller
Just a little wet sanding with 1000 started to take miner off. Didn't get very far on it as I went to Texas and handle dinged the tip and broke it to the core. Looking for a new ski now. Not worried about the look of that ski now that it will have jb weld on it. Did do a little test patch and it seemed to work with just a little water and 1000 grit.

@skier2788 @AdamCord I use Mequiar's No. 9 to remove any hair line scratches (will not harm top at all). After that I use Turtle Wax Formula 2000 with SUN STOP. Your top will look like new. I never put wax on bottom. If I do get any marks on bottom I use a Mr. Clean pad to wipe it away.