Reflex Shin

rockdog

• Baller

Been skiing every day for the last 2 weeks on my new Reflex with R-style. Didn't take too long to get used to and the R-style rear has been a good move also, really like it.

I've had three or four releases and had no problems after setting up per Mapple video, though as you can see in the pic, I have a sore shin. I know some use a shin guard to prevent this, I'm wondering whether the Reflex neoprene sock cover works ok or is there a better way to cover the release?? I really don't want to use a shin guard if I can avoid it.

• Baller
It's not the release that's hitting you. It's the cleat on the back of your front boot that's wacking your shin. The neoprene cover for the release head won't cure that. When I first went to the reflex I got nasty shin gashes and bruises. I ended up wearing a soccer shin guard for the first two months. Over time, I quit wacking myself in the shin.

• Baller

@shaneh you're probably right, I assumed it was the release. Hard to know when you're in the midst of fall what is hitting what! If that's the case then I guess the only fix is to stop coming off.

I haven't had any OTF's, my three or so incidents have been turning balls and the ski skipping out on rollers and catching the front causing a release.

All I know is it's pretty painful and they don't heal all that quickly.

• Baller
as @Shane indicated - it's the block on the boot digging into your shin. Find some high density foam about 1/4" thick (something similar to what lines a caliper box), cut it to size to fit over the back of the block and thoroughly epoxy there. Size and place properly so not to interfere with the Silvretta release. It will lessen the shin dings dramatically.

• Baller
Heck most of my injuries involve blow the tail and sliding on top of the ski. However, any rounded object that can break skin on your shin from an impact alone will likely still break skin with a small pad. I have plenty of experience in that department although not from skiing. That said, wouldn't a foam pad even 1/4" thick run the risk of hanging up on the release mechanism? I've never seen slow motion of a release before so I don't know for sure what happens and despite my efforts to get one, I don't have a good enough camera for that but there isn't a whole lot of clearance between the cleat and the silveretta release.

• Baller

Hi, it's all about how often you release, if it's often you should probably use something to cover your shin. Neoprene cover will only speed up the corrosion process on your Silvretta release.

However, if you often release try to be more consistent because the way reflex releases ski does not move away from you as with rubber boots and you might hit the ski with other parts of your body making it more dangerous and painful.