Trick Skis

Skier15

• Baller
Just got my hands on a Radar and I have skied on D3s in the past. I have to say the Radar is a nice ski. I had a conversation with a high level tricker this weekend about it and he said Reflex and Quanton are fast/stiff skis so that makes it hard to learn on.

• Baller_

If you are just starting out with tricks, the ski is much less important than the binding. Pick the right size for your weight and any used trick from the major brands will work fine. However, you will get a significant benefit from a hardshell binding. Probably 90% of the trickers use the Reflex system.

Have someone help you get started. Use a boom for the first few basic tricks and you will save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

There are several very good threads on starting tricks. You can start with these:

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/9488/it-is-time-to-get-a-trick-ski

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/8497/junior-trick-skis

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

I just had a relatively new skier (just learnt 180's and 360's) demo a bunch of skis including a Quantum, D3 and a couple of Reflex skis. They ended up buying the Reflex.

Not saying the Reflex 'the one to buy', but give a few skis a try and take your pick from there. Note that certain skis are extremely similar.

• Baller

D3 43" or bigger with a Reflex binding is the standard. Quantum or Goode are almost the same in feel but not as widespread. FM is as good as Reflex boots and almost as widely used - but they are pretty much interchangeable.

When you advance a bit there are even more choices. (Goodman, Reflex, Radar or Leeski (are you related?))

It's not the ski, it's the skier!

Eric

• Baller
I have a D3 XT trick and I think this would be a great ski to learn on. Pair it with a hardshell and you are good to go for a long time. My son has been on a D3 CX for years and it has been good for him to learn also. Make sure you don't go too small unless you are flipping of doing ski line tricks I don't think there is a downside to being on a bit bigger ski.

• Baller
I have not seen a single person who tried the new Jobe trick ski and not stay on it over the others mentioned. My exposure is limited, but that is about 9 or 10 skiers that just I have been around. Jimmy Siemers can get them, but they sell as fast as he gets them in his hands. Just wanted to mention as it didn't come up above. It's been somewhat surprising to see so many in our area get on it.

• Baller
I was in your shoes a few months ago. I end up picking up the Radar Graviton with a Reflex. All I can say is the few sets I have on it, I did not want to stop skiing. Now during the winter months I soothe the addiction by wearing my reflex around this house. This should tell you just how comfortable they truely are.

• Baller
Along these same lines, do you think an intermediate (at best) tricker like myself would notice a big difference going to a new ski? I currently have a late 90's 44" Obrien trick ski. I'm 6'5" and around 250lbs so the bigger the better I would imagine.

• Baller

Two skis are fun but nowadays I start people on one ski. Actually, first timers I start on a wakeboard with no fins. Nasty splits, bashed ankles and tweaked knees go along with double tricks. Stick with one - either a wakeboard or a single trick.

Eric

• Baller

Ok then, @Chef23 it's settled. I'll buy your ski, and you can upgrade! I've never bought any new ski equipment except leftover or closeout stuff. I'm trying to remember the name, but I think my ski came from Dave Robbins up in the New England area. I would be in that same trick score range if I nailed them all in a row.

And my son started tricking last summer, so he can have mine. Oh wait, I've got a 42" Connelly HC in the rafters of the boathouse for him. I suppose I could give the 42" to my younger boy when he finally starts tricking.

• Baller
@Sethro I am not ready to upgrade yet. I know Dave Robbins and he is a big guy that is a good tricker. At your size I think a 6'5" and 250 I think you would need the bigger ski. I looked for a long time for a used 45" ski but they don't seem to exist. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one. It is worth it though.

• Baller
As @eleeski states, all kids down here sre starting in just 1 ski. I sticked a homemade fin to my 6 year old daugther's D3.CX for her first days, when she was already proficient getting up and crossing the wake (in 1 week...), we took it off. She got up on the first try and adapted/got back to the previous level in 2 sets, and then started with side slides.

• Baller

@drew - you're right, Jobe can put wakeboard graphics on it, but with that round tip it looks like a 70s ski. Remember how Jim Bush would make us learn with no rear toe strap, just grip tape? I think I read that @eleeski was from the no-rear-toe school back in the day.

p.s. I think Neilly could wakesurf a 46" Quantum