Radar Strada boots - separate plates or sequence single plate

Zman

• Baller

For the Strada boot users, any preference for single plate or using a sequence plate? I bought the sequence for quick change out and adjusting while testing skis this spring.

When the plate arrived I see that two of the three pairs of screws to mount the plate have spacers to allow the front and rear of the ski to move as the ski flexes. Does this offer some slight performance improvement over the single plates? Only the front single plate has this feature with the front and rear mounts being slotted, but did not come with the spacers.

• Baller
Definitely the Sequence plate with the spacers at both ends @Zman. The wise man was right about the spacers making the ski turn harder. I got so much more flex with the Sequence that I had to add .004" of depth to the fin to tame things down a bit, but then it carves SO much better when the whole ski can flex like that. Besides, getting to go deeper with the fin without hurting the turns is ideal.

• Administrators
What @SkiJay‌ said. I always use the spacers. Best part of sequence plate is ease of 1/2 hole adjustment and keeping boots the same distance apart when moving bindings. I have not used anything else since the Radar RS-1 boots came out way back when.

• Baller

@chris_logan‌ thanks. I think I misunderstood what @Fatroll meant by plastic spacers....I assumed he meant the thin plastic WASHERS to which you refer. The "threaded neck washers" sometimes referred to as "shouldered washers" are aluminum.

I would contact Radar if you are in need of some of the them. They do wear over time.

• Baller
@Wayne The plastic washers go between the neck washers and the ski. They protect the ski's top sheet from the edges of the neck washers. The actual washer is also tight enough on the threads of the mounting screw that it will hold the neck washer and screw in place on the Sequence plate. If you are demoing skis, this makes moving your whole binding setup from ski to ski a real breeze.

• Baller

The @schafer‌ Matt IS a very wise man. It's never occurred to me to use the inserts as a tuning option.

Most factory recommended fin and binding numbers tend to favour easy turning. Add more flex to a ski designed for solidly mounted plates and the result could easily be too much tip pressure. Stiffening the ski up by removing the inserts is a quick and simple fix, a lot simpler than chasing down a custom fin setup.

By removing the inserts at one end or the other, you can even affect flex under just the front or rear half of the plate too. Interesting info. Thanks for sharing, @schafer‌. Just curious, what ski are you on?

• Baller
I understand that the spacers/washers have been changed to steel from aluminum and that's good. Here's a link to a comment I wrote a while back on how I dealt with the wear of aluminum spacers. BTW, not only did the spacers wear out, so did the slots on the Sequence place. I replaced them as follows... http://ballofspray.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/135325/#Comment_135325

• Baller
Another topic of discussion that comes up with the stratas is where to put the foot bed. I have put it in the liner and also between the liner and shell. My experience is that a larger foot bed under the liner makes the liner last longer because it doesn't get torn up by the bosses that hold the inserts that secure the binding to the plate. It also slips out smoother in a crash or for removal after run. Enjoy your Stradas however you decide to set em up.