Gates @ different line length's

Stevie Boy

• Baller
When shortening the rope, are you looking to change the angle through the Gate, seeing that skiers are of different height and reach, can you arrive at the optimum point too early, in others words can you take too much angle through the gate, making it more difficult than need be ?

• Baller_

I asked Chris a similar question in Ask Rossi thread. Well, kinda similar. Maybe he's workn on it. Question was as follows:

As the line gets shorter for you, are you doing anything different in any element of the set up for and the gate itself from loop to loop. If yes, what elements would that be? If not why not? How does your answer translate to all line lengths where a skier may be in a range of 4 makable passes each shorter then previous?. Example: A skier 15-32 off or skier 28-38 off.

• Baller
Since it is addresses to @chrisrossi I am not going to answer, but state, that is you turn in at the same time for a 22' OFF pass as a 41' OFF pass...........someone is going to miss the gate by 19 feet......... I know there are other things in play like speed............ I am probably already screwing it up.......

• Baller
I pull out at the same point with the same intensity for each rope length. I just turn in earlier for each shorter rope length. 35' OFF and up seems like you can't turn in too early. 28' OFF my reference is that the bow of the boat is 6-8 feet before the entrance gate. Each pass I turn in farther away from the entrance gates (bow of boat to the reds that is). Like I said, it doesn't seem like you can start/initiate the turn in too soon once you are into 35' and 38'.

• Baller
I'm with @deanoski, I pull out later as the line shortens because it takes less time to get high on the boat with a shorter line...particularly 35 and 38 and I assume beyond...though I'm not much qualified to comment on the beyond.

• Baller

Interesting how different things work for different people. As with @Goodeskier, I pull out at the same point with the same intensity for each rope length and I go typically about 8 ft before the gate. But I do feel I can start/initiate too early at 35 and 38. Too early and I end up without enough angle through the gates, pointed at the ball. For sure at 38 you have to create space, ski out and up on an arc to the ball. I expect to run 35 but have only run 38 a few times, definitely more to learn. What feels later and slower for the turn-in works better for me.

Very curious to see what @chrisrossi has to say on the subject.

• Baller
When talking about early late and same time please be specific about skier location relative to gates not relative to when the boat goes through the gates. If you pull out when the boat passes The pre-gates every time you are doing so 10 feet closer to the gates at 38 than you are at 28. Same for turn in.

• Baller
@PurdueSkier my references are all in relation to where the boat is in the course, not me. In other words, you're right, I pull out when the boat bow hits the green 55's, and yes that puts me in a different spot each pass as the line gets shorter. I should have been clear, my reference points are the boat bow and the 55's and entrance gates.