Pull out keeping line tight

cragginshred

• Baller
I have been told in the past pull out 5' farther than the 2-4-6 in order to get a better angle on the gate shot. I am looking for tips to keep the line tight while out there waiting for the gate shot. I may be pulling out and letting up too abruptly. Even when I feel like I have not let up too fast I get out there and start drifting in with slack resulting and the gate/pass is blown. Then of course I go back to my comfort zone.

• Baller
@cragginshred I think you hit the nail on the head. If you have a loose line I think you are pulling out too hard then letting up abruptly. I try to get a smooth steady pullout and I like to try to not get gassed by the boat on the pullout. I would suggest trying to start your pullout earlier and make it more smooth and gradual.

Agree with everything said above. We need to think about being light on the line, shoulders and arms lined up with the boat pylon and have a slow steady load onto the line and the same as we start to flatten the ski out. Smooth everything out and if you need to start the pull out sooner giving yourself more time to create the speed and distance you need or want. I try to think about proper technique to get me out there rather than creating major pull against the boat. Hope this helps.

• Baller

@cragginshred As long as you are out around the ball line you are good (all there is @38). I think most people pull out way too hard, it takes less effort to get out there than you think. Smooth and progressive pressure is the most important, that can turn a potentially hosed gate into some thing you can work with. Some of my keys:

Front foot: 100% front foot from getting out of the water till at least pointed at the gates

No more than 10% effort first 10% of move out but be sure to steer the ski out

Keep hips square down course the entire time standing tall

Bring handle in against body and vertical when coming up over ski (near the end of the pull out, handle straight up and down keeps elbows in and other good things)

Never go flat, stand on outside edge (even if lightly) until actually turning to gates (no glide really, stay out till you turn)

I don't think of these all at once but worked on each till all became natural. Gates are like learning a trick. Do it again and again and again and.....

• Baller

If you look down the line and just "stay away" from the boat by staying on the edge away from the boat. I think shoulders back.

Also, I played with the (+) setting on Zero Off and I felt like my gate was a bit better with less tendency to get that pull back into the boat. It seemed to help me stay wide and relaxed for a good relaxed turn in when I wanted to, rather than being rushed into a turn after I drifted. Something to try?

• Baller
@cragginshred another thing that might help is to make sure you are not starting your pullout from in the curl of the wake but just outside it in the white water. This means you need less energy to get your width and won't have to work as hard.

• Administrators

@Stevie Boy

"wary of over running gates"

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

• Baller
@Stevie Boy I see more skiers that start their pullout too late and pull short because they are late resulting in not enough width than people that pull out too early and drift. Most people that drift could get wider anyway.

• Baller
@Chef23, I always use to start the pull out, a boat length before the pre-gates, people then started to get me to pullout when the nose of the boat got to the pre-gates, I do not feel comfortable with it, but it seems to work better when I get it right, I need to trust it more, where I ski, the lake is a lot shallower at one end, it might be a mental or visual perception, but the ski seems to carry more speed at the shallow end when setting up.

• Baller
Probably a "Panda" question but if at 22 off you start a boat's width wide of the 2,4,6 line should you maintain this width through the full pass? The reason I ask is I see skiers set up wide but only do enough to achieve buoy width at 1 ball which seems to me to defeat the point of setting up wide.