Warp 14 Arrives - First Look

ozski

• Baller

The Warp 14 arrived today - First impressions: Must have been cheap to freight because the box feels empty, is there a ski inside? Must be a joke right? Can't locate the leatherman so I bust out a sharp screw driver and confirm there is indeed a Warp 14 inside. its light as a feather. I've just thrown it into the pool for a tub as you can see in the photo. Side by side with my Quest tells a bit of a story, its different, very different. Can't wait to get it set up and on the water.

• Baller
@MAD11 Thanks, I've been advised to use a HO fin in place of the carbon fin by a few people. Easier said than done in this part of the world. Have to wait another week before I can strap it on due to tournament on the weekend...

• Baller

I've got 4 sets in on a 13. It's definitely interesting. Every set has gotten better. Just running 28s now. I like longer and deeper fin than @MAD11 and some of the others. Last set I ran 6.810, 2.515, .776dft with slot/.796 dft with regular caliper. And bindings at 28 7/8. That felt pretty good although as the water warms up I don't think I could run the bindings there. I'm thinking the sweet sport for me on bindings is back an 1/8 to 28 3/4.

Best way for me to describe the ski is low energy.

• Baller
@shaneH Agree longer and deeper are better on that ski at 28off and 32off, but the numbers I gave you when you start back up the line will make the ski get better as the rope gets shorter. My gut is you will end up back where I started you. That's where almost everyone has ended up, but agree 28 and 32off isn't great with those.

• Baller

First set today - Wow. I expected different, side by side with the D3 Quest it had to be different and it was but not what I expected. The Warp feels nimble but not twitchy at all as the boat runs up to 34mph. I'm taking it easy on my opener at -28 because I have no idea what to expect, ski seems to coast well on the pullout so no surprises there, turn and go - woosh... Good, its fast enough - edge change preturn move up on ski and start to release with my Quest mindset the ski shuts down pretty hard and turns with little effort right on the back of one ball. I need to make a mental adjustment because that was too narrow but its going to take a few more passes, this ski is planted in the turns like nothing I have ever ridden before. Comments from the boat crew - "looks like you have a lot of ski in the water" and "and it appears to turn really well" I don't run my first two passes because my timing is thrown but pass three my head is sorted and it comes together - easily. I have a lot of confidence in the ski already but I miss my -32 because I'm still adjusting. Tail wind -32 and I run it so easy the boat crew shortens the rope to -35 for the head wind. The Warp is certainly working better with less rope but first set in less than perfect conditions I am again a little narrow at 2 ball and don't make it to 3 ball. I don't need to move forward over this ski as much as the Quest - Less is more.

My 1 set Warp summary is this - I like the Warp a lot, give me 5 sets on it and I will break my practice PB and be into -38 I am certain. It gives me a lot of confidence on my 2/4 side like I have never had, I don't switch skis very often at all but I'm glad I tried the Warp. This is a serious high end ski and I would encourage people to at least try one - once. Can't wait to read Horton's review, I think the Warp comes into its own at -32 / -35 but its early days yet. A few more sets and I will shoot some video and update.

@ShaneH - Thanks for the settings, I'm running the bindings slightly forward and using the fin numbers you supplied. I need to check the wing because I was forced to "take a guess" at the angle. I am running a D3 black fin from the Quest, no shims required.