I am pretty sure Chuck from Eagle is going to kill Nate Smith

Horton

Day one was quite amazing. Nate learned two front toe holds (2 on shoes and 1 on feet). In the same set, he learned backwards on shoes, and by the 2nd set did a back to front. His comment was "It's been a long time since I've been this sore. I'm definitely using muscles I don't use in slalom". Finished with an hour in the hot tub and off for a Mexican dinner. 6 am comes quick and that's also a new thing for him.

• Baller_
@Eagle1 It's like watching an auto race. Nobody wants to see a crash but..... Find yourself saying ..don't crash don't crash.!.!. I remember learning those back when.. Wish I had the proper coaching and shoes. Nail biter. Hope to see more!!!

He's definately tough. Barefooting is something that you'll get one day and feel like you totally forgot the next. He's a natural at all front tricks. He's never come up long-line before, but as soon as he did, he crosses the wakes like it's no big deal.

Don't worry, we're utilizing the slalom course as well. Most slalom skiers I know don't ski early enough to see water that smooth because of the morning glare from the sunrise. At least Nate tells me he typically doesn't.

• Baller
I ski at 6:30 in the morning so I can squeeze it in (a) before the lake is full of people and, (b) before work. Going west is easy. Going east can be tough! Sun is on the 2,4,6 first set -- you pretty much have to have faith in where the ball is and just ski your rhythm. Better by second set. As the sun moves, the driver ends up not being able to see the course for about 10 minutes sometime during our ski.

• Baller
It's funny after our recent discussion on straight(er) legs in the course: Nate's natural tendency (first ride, 2.10-2.20s or so), even footing, is to straighten his legs. I thought he was going to have a nasty faceplant, but of course his athleticism & balance shines through.

I had to give Nate the morning off today. He's pretty sore. When you see the video of Day 2 you'll understand. Day 2 he learned how to jump in and out of the boat at 42mph, Dolphin starts, Side Slides, more backwards, long-line starts (I was surprised he'd never gotten up long-line before), and long-line wake crossing. That's a lot for one very long set.

• Baller

OK some observations:

@eagle1 and Nate rock.

Nate is seriously relaxed in the heat of a big moment which serves him very well in addition to his amazing balance and athleticism.

Mercury outboards have an extremely annoying beep before start, and are very loud at idle and under throttle...prefer my Yamaha for sure.

The height of the boom used for training these days does a lot of favors for learning barefoot tricks. Obtaining basic bare footing form and some basic tricks is easier today than ever before. Who remembers stepping out of skis at 40 plus in a stearns life vest at long line as the method to learn to barefoot? OK we got that down let's try a two ski bomb out at long-line. Learning to foot and subsequently learning barefoot tricks required tolerance for punishment.

Having said all of that...Nate is clearly a natural.

After Nate's training is all done, the reverse training episode of Nate training @eagle1 in the slalom course should be next.

• Baller_
About 13 yrs ago I did a lot of footing with a knowledgeable footer in the spring time. I remember having sore everything but mostly core forearms and shoulders. Set me up for strong slalom later. Was like a boot camp for muscles utilized in slalom (there were others that were new and sore). So I'm wondering if this could actually do wonders for Nate in terms of overall strength, balance, coordination, and reaction time. I'm sure after this learning experience, a little spray from a slalom boat will feel like a gentle mist so no chance of that every being a excuse. Having a blast watching these videos. Keepm coming!!

For all you folks that are new to the Freestyle Barefoot scene and old farts who refuse to raise the boom above your knees (LOL!), here's the video Nate watched that inspired him to want to learn an ADV. ADV stands for Andre De Villiers. Andre has invented over 30 new barefoot tricks in the last 5 years and can do them all high, low, shortline and longline. One of my favorite tricks is the suicide hand-plant. See if you can point it out. vimeo.com/38067853

Can the nice lady with the camera do a trick Nate can't do yet? Have her demonstrate and then Nate gets 3 tries w/o instruction. If Nate fails @Eagle1 does laundry for a month. If Nate does it, footing bragging rights forever...

We typically pit the shortbus student against my now 12 yr old daughter Kathryn who can barefoot quite well. She's been in school all week but is looking forward to the weekend. If Kathryn beats them, they have to be her slave for a day. She's been telling him all the things she's going to have him do during that 24 hrs. Nate, on the other hand, is paying her $10 to wash and WAX his truck. I told Kathryn she'll find out how good a deal that was when she's waxing on and waxing off.