Breaking at the Waist on the Onside

skinut

• Baller

So here is the full story with video. I am just getting back on my N1 after a year. I broke my ankle last July in a crushing OTF on my offside. Started skiing later that summer on my old X7 with Reflex bindings instead of the Goodes that I had on the N1 and continued to ski this spring on the X7.

I have now mounted the Reflex bindings on the N1(gotta get back on the horse so-to-speak) and went out for the first time on the ski today. I have not changed the fin settings from the last time I skied(I was getting into mid-35). The only thing different from the last time I was on the ski are the bindings. They are set very close to where my old bindings where on the ski.

So I am noticing that my offside turns very well but my onside I feel like the ski is stalling at the finish of the turn and my hips are getting behind me. It's not obvious in the video clip but I feel like if I am too far forward on the ski in the turn that it shuts down and I don't continue my momentum and struggle to get my hips to come around and be in a stacked position when I hookup for the pull. If my weight is further back on the ski in the turn the tip won't engage as well and I school bus the turn.

So is this a binding/fin adjustment or a skier adjustment.

Edit-I tried to upload a MOV file but it doesnt seem to have worked. Here is the Youtube link

• Baller
You hit the nail on the head with the "hips getting behind you" observation. The Nano One is a turning carving machine, and if you are not nicely stacked shoulders over hips over ankles, when the rope goes tight, you'll never get your hips forward. See if you can get better stacked in the pre-turn then keep that stack around the ball to the hookup. Until you get this fundamental firing on all cylinders, the stock N1 numbers are a great place to be, because you can be sure they are good numbers on which to build a good solid skiing position.

• Baller

I totally agree with @skijay but I will say that getting stacked can be more difficult if you have the wrong ski setup. Some ski or binding adjustments can help promote skier adjustments. If your reflex boot is too tight on the top buckle, it can limit front ankle flex which will make you ski more straight legged which allows your hips to drop back and if you bounce through the wakes, you'll start to feel out of control and start skiing more defensive. Similarly with the rear bindings...if it's too far back, it will favor rear legged skiing which also forces your hips to drop back and bending at the waist as well as a hot onside turn.

Not saying it's the arrow or the indian here but you shouldn't discard either as the problem.

• Baller
@londonskier‌ PS5s. I had the recommended amount of interlock. I stuffed the tip while turning which is the type of fall that the PS don't release. Resulted in a hyper flexed ankle with a severe sprain and a fracture in my Fibula.