camera mount on the cheap

PJ

• Baller_
PJ, looks great!!. GoPo's have a bit of a distance problem though. Needs to be closer. Can another camera be mounted to it that has a zoom? All these devices have vibration. Impossible to illuminate but that video looks as good as anything I've seen or watched of the ones I've built. Will be in Southern Canada July 2nd-8th. You can experiment with it one me =)

Here is the one I use and I have it set up for an Iphone with Wakeye app. I went with the different setup as the top of my pylon is smaller and it fits in perfectly and is solid as can be. I can also move it to the tower too and works good there as well.

• Baller
I've made a few of these things. Its pretty simple. The key is getting the right width of the "groove" that the rope rides in. It needs tension to move properly with the rope, and varies some by the type of pylon and also type of rope (knotless don't work as well). The few I've made have a piece of slightly oversized Styrofoam noodle stuffed inside to help dampen the vibration.

@giddyup i'm using a 3" dia. PVC. The pylon on our 196 is 2.5" so I wanted it to be able to rotate easily. The key is definitely the width of the slot as @davemac mentioned. Mine is just wide enough so that it gently squeezes the loop over the pylon.

@Lieutenant Dan I used a gopro mount that I purchased from best buy for $12.00. It is the misc parts. The only issue is you have to modify it to connect two mounts together. I used a flat mount for the phone part and a helmet mount for the top of the PVC cap. I am using an iphone 5 with it with some velcro on the case of the phone to attach it to the mount. I sued it at lake powell on both the pylon and my tower and it worked great.

• Baller
I use one that @davemac built for me (Thanks again Dave!) and it works great. What I did was to take two of the thin soft koozies and cut the bottoms out, fit them over each other on the pylon inside the PVC mount. Works like a charm with my Kodak ZX5 Playsport, takes the vibration out and still rotates properly.

You can get the 2.5 PVC from electrical supply houses. I glued some 1/4 flat PVC to the top to mount the camera. Added bonus is it won't roll off the dock. Heat it in boiling water then put it over the pylon, rotate it while it cools to get the fix right. Should be snug. Adjust as needed.

The hole in the side is so you can see that the rope is on the pylon. This one is for a Malibu so it's kind of long. It takes great videos.

IMG_20140624_070100_947.jpgIMG_20140624_070120_677.jpg