Coefficient vs Senate and carbons vs standard

guygandy

So looking for some advice in ski selection. I am 6'4" 210lbs. Right now on a 2012 Triumph in the 71". I ski at 34. Free ski and in the course.

So first: CoX vs Senate? Not just for me, but does anyone have a general comparison of the two? Especially looking for some insight on the CoX speed steps... marketing ploy or noticeable difference?

2nd: carbon/super lite vs the standards? I was planning to get carbon because it will take me further, but if I'm not quite there, is there thing about the carbon skis that would slow my progress. Aka if I'm on the edge will it be too much ski for me vs a standard senate or CoX.

Lastly: Can anyone compare the 2011- 2014 Senate's to the new 2014. The older models were all based on Strata and now the 2014 is based on the Vapor shape. Any noticeable performance improvement with the new Vapor shape?

Thanks for help in advance, Im a long time reader but first time poster here.

@guygandy‌, I think a tx sl, or cx sl would be good to test ride. ( I believe 69" is max for the tx sl), but the 69" tx sl should be big enough for you. The 2012 triumph was the first year of the new gen., with the steps, which is the ski that I have taken a liking to. This could make the tx a more natural transition than the cx. The vapor 69.5 might be sweet too. Good luck!

• Supporting Member

I am 6'4" and 245 ish. I have a 13' Triumph and a 14 Senate Graphite.

I am sure you find the Triumph very stable. I bought the Senate thinking I wanted a "faster" ski. I have quickly learned (coaching & this forum) that my technique needs quite a bit of improvement before I truly put the Triumph in the quiver for choppy water/end of the day runs. It is a lot of ski (size/capability/training/intro course). It becomes a "fast" 30-32mph ski when skied correctly.

The Senate is a fractionally wider platform than the Vapor (pretty sure wider than the CoX). By definition, you are already on a Cross Over ski from HO, just not one designed to ski that fast. If you are nailing the course at 34 mph, either ski will be a lot more responsive than the Triumph (it likes to go slower).

2nd: I'd stick with the Carbon or Graphite set up.

I am super happy with the Senate Graphite. It's way beyond my abilities. It is a 34MPH "course oriented" ski. @Horton has written recent reviews on both skis from a "course" perspective. I think you would be happy with either choice, but with your size, maybe an edge towards.... Radar?? The other "wider/course" ski to consider would be a Carbon V from Connelly.

Well I found a smoking hot deal on a 2014 Senate Graphite blem and pair of 2011 Strada boots. It is probably way too much ski for me, but it is too good of a deal to pass. I will pick them up this weekend and have a full week in the Delta with them. I'll give my review from the perspective of a intermediate skier when i return.

The deal I'm getting is from a local pro shop near me and they only had 1 blem. But i do know that wakehouse.com has a 2012 standard senate blem for only $249 and free shipping. That's a deal. I almost bought that before i found this. I would also call Kelli at Get Tommy's in Colorado. They always have good deals on blems and old season stuff + Kelli is super helpful.

So I just spent a week with it on the Delta. Awesome ski. A rocket ship compared to the Triumph. @mwski, when I picked up my ski, the guy at the shop mentioned that he can get blems on a request basis and on availability from the manufacturer. It is the pro shop at NorCal Mastercraft in Pleasanton, CA. They are online at www.wakerootsrideshop.com. Call and ask for Ben.