Switching from wraps to Connelly Talons

Rumjahn

I started skiing over 20 years ago, when state of the art bindings were high-wraps. I'm upgrading my 1991 Connelly Concept to a Carbon V, which I got a smokin' deal on, but it comes with Talon bindings. I've never skied with a boot before, so looking for advice on what to expect going from my 20-year-old wraps to brand-new Talons. I know that if I don't like the Talons I can always switch them out for Stokers or Wiley bindings. I figure I should at least give them a shot though.

One thing that concerns me is that the Talons don't release as easily as the wraps, which could be more potential for injury. What do you ballers think about that? If I'm used to skiing with wraps, should I just keep on doing so? Or would it be worth it to upgrade to Talons?

• Supporting Member

I try to avoid changing bindings and ski at the same time. Very hard to make the transition and you don't know which aspect may need adjustment. So I recommend putting your old bindings on, getting used to the new ski, and then maybe trying the new bindings.

Personally I find binding swaps are harder to adjust to than ski swaps. (And I'm very aware of that as I am transitioning to new bindings right now!)

• Baller

@Than_Bogan‌ unlikely he will be able to mount those 20 year old binders right up & really why would he going from a 20 year old ski? I agree with you but not in this instance.

@Rumjahn‌ they look like nice bindings and will be 10x more comfortable than what you're on, very similar to many other popular bindings on the market like the Radar Vectors a lot of people use. Make sure you read any instructions that come with them and don't do the top bungee laces up that tight, that is essentially your release mechanism.

@Than_Bogan thanks for that advice, it makes a lot of sense. But I'm not that good a skier to notice subtle differences, or maybe even major differences, much less know what to adjust. I was more concerned about the safety of the Talons vs the wraps

@wtrskior my front binding is 20 years old, but the rear one is a new Wiley mid-wrap, which I replaced an RTP with. I don't remember if it was cost or ability that kept me from using a double boot 20 years ago, probably both. But today I love the double boot way better than RTP. The Wiley would probably go onto the Carbon V just fine without drilling new holes, so if I wanted to switch I'd just get a new front one. As far as comfort, I can't imagine anything being more comfortable than the wraps I have now, so I'm very interested to see how the Talons feel. Looking at them, I thought they might be more uncomfortable from being too restrictive, so thanks for that input.

Based on what you said, I guess you release right out of the boot, just like on the wraps? I'm comfortable with that. A lot more familiar to me than boot separating or ejecting off the ski, which makes me a little uneasy about mechanical failure.

My plan is to try out the Talons. If I really hate them, I'll switch them for the rubber ones.

I got them today, and so far on dry land I like them. They give you two options for the upper laces: non-stretching or stretchy bungee style ones. Based on the comments above, I'm going to use the bungee style ones, for easier release.

This Carbon V is an amazing piece of equipment. The only other ski I have to compare it to is my 23-year-old Concept. I am amazed at how light this thing is. Must be less than a quarter the weight of my old ski. When the box came in the mail, I thought it was empty!

Connelly customer service is top notch. After unwrapping it I had a few questions, so I called them and they answered all my questions and then some.