Do gloves or better handle help with forearm fatigue??

douganderson

I'm a 44 year old slalom skier getting back into slalom skiing.

Do ski gloves and/or a better handle help with forearm fatigue. My arms give out before my back, legs, etc. and limit my ride. If so, what gloves or handle would you recommend?

What are other things (excercises, technique, etc.) that help?

-Doug

• Baller
@douganderson, hook the handle, this is as strong as gripping the handle, the benefits are no forearm fatigue, reduction in calloses and your arms will remain straight, you cannot bend or pull on them if you are hooking the handle, grip the handle like a rock climber.

• Administrators

You need some kind of gloves.... Masters Curves by Masterline would be the glove I would recommend to someone who was not sure what they wanted. There are a LOT of choices but in the end we are just talking about gloves. Good gloves are not super cheap but are worth every penny.

http://www.masterlineusa.com/

A good handle. Well that is a matter of preference. I use a 1" bent handle. Currently I am using a InTow bent 1" handle. http://jlbmfg.com/InTowTournamentHandles.html

Connelly, Radar, HO, O'Brien and eveyone else in the sport makes gloves and handles. It is all quality stuff the trick is finding what works best for you.

• Baller

What handle and gloves are you using now? Masterline prolocks and radar vice gloves may be helpful. Search the site for background on both.

Handles, there are diameter choices and many variations on shape that may help. I'll leave that open to others to say what might help, I've stuck with the same handle design for ever so I can't comment.

• Baller
My experience is that the larger the diameter of the handle, the more tired my forearms get. But a really small handle tires my fingers. It took some experimenting and I have found that a 1 inch diameter is the most painless for my hands and forearms.

• Baller

I "hook the handle" in that I only grip the handle with my finger tips. This helps save my hands and actually helps my forearm strength as well. Hooking the handle combined with an elliptical style handle or Radar's triangle extend handle work best with the hooking technique. Smooth handles require more grip strength to hang on.

Additionally a good glove that has kevlar stitched into the leather will reduce the amount of grip strength required to hold on to the handle as well.

Also switching your grip from baseball grip to both overhanded before and after you enter the course will help spread out the muscle load. I don't like them at all but if it comes down to it, clincher style gloves will help a lot and many people swear by them.