Just tried PP classic slalom mode...a few questions.

Tdub

I just tried classic mode and I skied much better. I am an older skier and will take any help I can get. With Classic mode I wasn't feeling the "surge" we get in GPS mode. So here are a few questions, I really appreciate the help I get from this forum.

1. If I tweak the baseline in Classic mode, will that affect the baseline in GPS mode? I was prompted to up the RPM's a bit.

2. I was getting a beep at every ball. I assume that is because I mapped it in GPS mode. Without magnets that surprised me.

3. When I drive in GPS mode, I can really feel the boat making up time. In classic mode all seems steady. As a skier I was not feeling the hits.

4. Can I see each ball time in classic?

5. Last but not least. Since we are not skiing in a tournament, why use GPS mode? Classic seems so much smoother.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this. I really appreciate it.

Best.

Tom

• Baller

Tom nothing wrong with classic mode. GPS timing will still work for you, you don't need magnets. If your stargazer pull is off it sounds like you have old software. What version do you have?

You can either sort out gps mode and it will be brilliant or stick with classic which is still good

Greg

• Baller

Hi Tom,

Great questions. Try this link. The software remains the same. Highlight the time box on the bottom with the menu key, press the down arrow, should bring up all ball times. I believe that changing the rpm value will change it throughout the system. Not positive on that one. Still trying to find out how to get better ballance on Stargazer myself. Haven't really gotten there yet. Not quite ready to give up!

http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all/themes/perfectpass%20-%20Copy/images/digitalpro65mechanical.pdf

• Baller
@OB, It's funny that you say that perfect Pass is cheating. I would have agreed with you before but recently since the boats have changed or ZO changed, I'm not sure which. any more riding behind a zero off boat it seems easier and slower to me. probably not a fair assessment for you to jump behind a perfect Pass boat now Since you're used Zero off. ZO has really come a long way in last few years! just an observation. wish I could afford a zo boat but it's just not in the cards right now.

• Baller_
@Tdub, get version 8.0.5 for better segment times and pull in GPS mode. The no-magnet option is something that you get with StarGazer and zBox. When I had the old SG with the one magnet option, it worked in classic mode, too. So, I suspect the no-magnet option, course mapping, and virtual timing of new SG and zBox gets retrofitted to classic mode now.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier I'm not certain that 8.0.5 will make any difference to the pull for this situation, as he already has 8.0.4r. Have to ask the factory on that one.

In this case, it may be a physical problem with the linkage catching. See the PP website support videos and work through each. The other thing it could be is low voltage due to poor boat wiring. @Tdub, what boat do you have, what year and what engine? Can help more then.

It should be awesome and it is probably an easy fix.

@escmanaze if you run Stargazer in classic mode, you get GPS no magnet all buoy timing. I've done it myself with 8.0.5 but it probably also works with most or all 8.0.x versions. For those that like classic mode, the latest version of Stargazer is a nice upgrade. Pull is the same but the screen setup is much nicer and the GPS no magnet stuff is very handy.

Just spoke to Gary at Perfect Pass. By the way, their customer support is fantastic. Great company. I asked Gary if tweaking the baselines in Classic mode affects the baselines in GPS mode. They do not. Both are independent.

• Baller
@tdub section 2 page 3 on the bottom. "once calibrated, the calibration settings are transferred automatically to the other modes" This is referring to the Cal Baseline mode. It's possible it doesn't work in the other direction. I'd at least write them down if you have good Cal numbers just to be on the safe side.

• Baller
I have the original Stargazer on my boat which uses the paddlewheel and the magnets. I used the course with it set on multimagnet mode to calibrate it/set baselines. I run it in the single magnet mode. If you are referring to the surge as it taking off after ball 3, I ran into the same problem at 30-32 MPH when pulling skiers over 150lbs. It would run normal start gate to ball 3 then accelerate. I was able to solve the problem by adding an extra 50 lbs to the crew weight setting above the actual crew weight. I also set the Kx setting from n to + or ++. Worked perfect after that. I did write down the baseline RPM's for future reference if they ever get erased. I have not upgraded since it works perfect on my boat. The course times always come out perfect or nearly perfect. I have not pulled any skiers in classic mode. My boat works better with GPS mode.

I think Gary at PP is correct and I may have misunderstood. In Classic mode, I wasn't changing the baselines, only adding or subtracting RPM for that particular pass. I don't think that changes the baseline, correct?