Slalom Lake + RV Park

nautique88

• Baller

Way out of date, but this posting reminded me of Petersburg, VA and Picture Lake. Site of the 1973 Nationals. Not a lake created for skiing, but it was nearly ideal for the time. People would travel many hours for a weekend tournament there. Not originally, but before the Nationals, there was a Holiday Inn RV park right next to it. Wife and I stayed there for the 1973 Nats in our pop-up tent camper.

Many memories there. Almost won JU at the 1969 Regionals; had the longest distance up until the last jump of the last jumper. Just missed qualifying for the 1973 Nationals, which may actually have been a good thing, as I volunteered to take care of the paperwork on National Records. Of which there were something like 17, as the first Nationals to be eligible for records in all 3 events. JU records had been along for a long while, but SL and TR official records were new. Back when you had to run around and get a whole bunch of signatures on record forms. Lex Carroll and I surveyed the SL course while practice was going on, and actually got a good survey out of it.

On the last day, things were held up by rain, heavy rain. The CJ decided the event had to go on despite the rain, to be able to get done that day. First event: Open Men SL. Using 2 boats cycling, and putting the next skier "in the hole" to be right ready to go. Event winner Kris LaPoint told me much later that when he was sitting in the water, the rain drops were bouncing a few inches off the surface.

Ahhh...the good olde days. Wonder if anything is happening there now.