Custom Trick Ski Size

Sethro

• Baller
I see that D3 will make a custom size trick ski. I currently have an old 44" (maybe 45" can't remember) Obrien ski from the late 90's. I am 6'5" and weigh about 250lbs while tricking at 20mph. What would be an ideal size ski for me? I really can't say that my ski feels too small for me, but it is also the biggest I've ever tried, and I ski over 1.5 mph faster than my 170-190 lb friends on their 43" skis.

• Baller
Call and talk to D3. I bet with the exception of maybe @eleeski‌, you will be lucky to get much good advice about trick ski size here. Slalom ski size OK. Talk to the people that make the skis.

• Baller
@Sethro I'm close to your size - 6'-6" and 225# - and shopped for a new trick ski at nationals this year. D3 can do a rubber edge at 45" x 11-7/8". I've also been told that quantum may be working on something a bit bigger too.

• Baller

Rubber edges soften over time. This changes the feel of the ski making an old rubber edge ski feel draggy - not good for a big guy. The consistency is part of why I really like the hardedge D3s over their rubber edge skis.

The biggest D3 hardedge should be a step up from your old ski. Maybe Quantum also has a big enough ski. Don't stress over the exact length. Anything over 44" should work. You are doing it right by adjusting your speed and rope length. 20mph is a fine speed for tricking.

I am unfamiliar with Reflex's current offerings but older Reflexes (and Trick Systems) had a "loose" feel. I had to slow down to make them work. That could be an advantage for you. See if you can get a demo ride on different skis and get what feels best.

Dave Robbins is a very high level tricker and a big guy. He's also an active eastern region judge so AWSA should have contact info for him. He's a great guy and very enthusiastic and would probably have much better insight than me for your needs.

Have fun tricking whatever you get.

Eric