Slalom Course Survey Using Overhead Photos

smanski

• Baller
I was playing around with the Google Maps and noticed you could see the buoys on our lake. For the heck of it, I used their measurement tool to measure turn buoy to turn buoy. To my surprise, the measurement was 47.05m, which is well within the range of 46.776m and 47.246m. I made a few more measurements and all were within tolerance. It seems you could do a very accurate survey with photos from a drone cam. Has anyone tried it?

• Baller
Cool idea to use Google Earth to measure your course. I just measured our archaic Accufloat course, and it is still in tolerance at 259M. The east end skier ball looks like it is not exactly perpendicular to the center line, and measuring it comes up short a couple feet on the diagonal. No wonder I pull a Rico going east a lot. (it just couldn't be me) Will need to work on that next Spring!

• Baller

In most cases, Google Earth works, and I have done it. For a classic example, go to

McCormick's in Seffner, FL. If you are careful and accurate, you will get very-very

close to 41.00 meters from gate to gate. But sometimes, Google Earth does have errors,

so don't consider it to be 'gospel'.

The place is at 2020 McCormick Lakes Way, or 28d01m30sec North, and 82d16m30sec W.

Latest view appears to be about January of this year.

Jim McCormick had a vision back then (1978?), and the recent change to turn the lakes

2 & 3 into a cable park appears to have worked out. Jim is an honoree with the AWSEF's

"Award of Distinction", back in 1997.

• Baller

Typically, Google Earth updates about once a year for more populated areas. The most

recent McCormick picture is from January of this year. Look in the lowest middle of the

Google Earth view for dates of the most recent pictures. You can also to to the "View"

pulldown option to see Historical Imagery. Which can be quite interesting at times.