Total hip repalcement

waterskicorey

• Baller

I think that Ed Nichols (Brenda's dad) may have given up jumping by now. But not skiing entirely. Special case.

I have had hip replacements on both sides, first in 2005 and then in 2011. Yes, you can ski, but give it time.

2nd replacement, I had a slip & fall and dislocated it, needing about a month+ of rehab.

Although, with the first one, I went snow skiing less than 2 months later. Really stupid idea, but I got away with it. Just

stayed on the well-groomed "Bunny" slopes for a couple of runs.

There is a newer approach, where the Doc. goes in more at the front of the hip. I believe that Lucky had it done that way,

and made an amazingly fast comeback. Apparently, that way cuts through less muscle. Do your research, and find the

right Doc and hospital, and best of luck to you. But don't let it go too long, or you may damage the hip socket. For sure,

find a sports-type Doc if you can. I expect that there others in this sport who will have sage advice.

I can pretty much walk OK now, although some say that I have a bit of a noticeable limp. First hip OP, I waited much-much

too long, like maybe 10 years. A few days in the hospital, and then you are walking, sort of, with crutches/walker. But,

a full recovery realistically is more like a year. And do your rehab. exercises, but carefully. And watch out for things

like stairs.

• Baller
Thanks Ed for the info, I have know for about 5 or 6 years that I would need one someday. I haven't had to many problems with it until the last mouth or 2 with it now bothering me when I walk and a dull ache pretty much all the time. It doesn't bother me when I ski and I plan on skiing until I get it done and after,

• Baller

@waterskicorey I just had both of mine done last winter by the anterior (front) approach, which has a very low probability of dislocation and a fairly short recovery time. You are pretty much unlimited in activity after 12 weeks, though you will still be a little weak. It really takes 6 months to a year for complete bone healing. A lot will depend on your condition before surgery and if the arthritis has caused atrophy or other problems.

I'm not a shortline skier but the hips were a complete non-issue this summer. I also did a lot of skating between the 2 surgeries (which were 12 weeks apart). I think I started skating at 5 or 6 weeks. Will start ice hockey in a couple a weeks, which will be 6 months from my second surgery.

• Baller
I was fortunate enough to hold the state slalom record for Men's 6 until my fellow ski club member, Gary, with a new hip replacement came along and blew my record away. The next year, I "matured" into men's 7 and posted a new state record. The following year my fellow ski club member graduated into men's 7 with a second hip replacement and posted a new men's 7 record which blew my record away for a second time! Then...he came back this year and broke his own state record by skiing into 35' off. I think he's related to the "Everready Bunny!" Get those replacement parts and 'keep on skiing!'

• Baller

My docs said no serious skiing. Of course, I was describing toe tricks and flips. Snow skiing would be OK except for bumps and tricks - what to do when it's not a powder day? The original injury was from slalom skiing - you can guess the advice there.

I do know many successful hip replacements (my father loves his). But a few guys have had their athletic performance reduced. Good for their well being at the expense of their athletics.

I'm going to wait as long as possible.

Eric

• Baller
I know Lucky had his done last year and when I saw him last February he was excited about getting back on the water. I don't think he was planning to jump though. Ed Nichols went off a ramp for what he claimed was the last time at 2013 Regionals.

• Baller

Something I forgot the last time: I had let my right hip go on and on after it first was noticed. Like 10 years.

Don't do that. However, it was about like a miracle post-op in 2005. Pain gone almost immediately, for one thing.

I did push my luck to snow ski only 2 months post-op. Fortunately, didn't re-injure/dislocate it. Also, don't do that,

and be patient and do your rehab.

• Baller

@Edbrazil‌ Other than suffering for 10 years, what complications did your delay cause? I seem to be able to manage my pain except for skiing. Cycling and swimming give me good relief so I might be able to stay in shape. While my skiing might drop a few more levels, that's better than not being able to ski seriously (toes and flips) at all. I am planning to wait until it hurts too much.

Eric

• Baller

By late 2003, I was hobbling around using a single crutch. Since I worked in the Winter at a local ski area, that was

a very bad idea. I needed to rely on snowmobile rides to get me to where I did the timing and computing at the

lower Race Shack. I was very sedentary, doing a whole lot of sitting and not moving. Which led to a blood clot in

the lower leg on that side. And, blood clots can be fatal if they migrate to your heart or lungs.

• Baller

@waterskicorey the front or anterior approach just prevents the hip precaution of restricting internal rotation...So, if its your rear leg that is getting the hip replacement it would in fact need the anterior approach.

I don't think it was mentioned but what is just as important and sort of negates some of the others feedback due to it being a new procedure is the 'press fit' cement procedures. In the PT clinic we are seeing great results and there is a much stronger and longer life span, however, the caveat is that there is an interim were you are non weight bearing. The long term results are worth it to me. Ask your ortho about all this!

You can always pm for any PT advice! best of luck,..

Don

• Baller
Thanks for the info everyone, @cragginshred it is my front leg that will need the replacement. I had my knee cap removed 17 years ago, so as a result it wore my hip joint out. I live in Canada, so it may take a year or 2 to get it done, also I am only 53 and my doctor seems to want me to wait as along as possible. I think I can live and ski with it until I get it done, that is my plan anyways, right now I have good days and bad days, still skiing and it doesn't bother me when I ski mostly when I walk. I will ask about the "press fit" procedures. I do take some anti-inflammatory drug to help with pain, ride a bike almost every day and stretch daily. Do you know it acupuncture would help? Or anything else, physio, massage, etc? Willing to do anything that will help. Thanks for all the help