Ski Handles

zyokes

My old faithful west Marine handle finally kicked the bucket and i am in the market for something new but a major concern came up when I was looking for a new one. What is the real difference between most of these handles and does it actually make enough of a difference to spend the money on an expensive one or go back to a piece of junk like I had previously.

Any advice on this topic would be extremely appreciated because I have no clue what the advantages of certain handles are over others.

• Baller_
@zyokes: there are numerous differences between handles and personal choices for function / comfort. Handle diameter, shape, curvature provide different grip and feel characteristics. The way the rope is attached, type of rope also affect how the handle responds, twists or doesn't twist in your hand. The rubber hardness / type provides a certain feel and longevity. Some people are particular about the handle others not so much. For me, I look for several specific characteristics and end up fine tuning my own handles to get them just the way I like them for feel / safety and minimizing elbow / arm strain.

• Baller_
@SkiJay: bend the elliptical bar (since nobody seems to offer that anymore) via pipe bender, sometimes flatten the bar a bit (big vise) and zip tie some netting & cross bar as a guard. Roughen the grip if needed. I haven't tried the tire treatment stuff on one yet & I have some in the garage:) Make sure the correct length. One more item, add a rubber cover at the Y so the ski doesn't saw the rope. I need a radius style bar to avoid the tennis elbow issue.

• Baller

Back around 1970, I may have been the first person to make a 'golf grip' type handle

Lots of people liked it, and I sold a few hundred before some manufacturers essentially

copied it. The 'Ultra Handle' sold for something like $25, which was a lot at the time.

But, it floated and did meet the spec. for strength (and more). At that time, the top

line handle may have been the 'Glad Handle'. That had a grip that tended to rip apart, and

with an attachment method that tended to chafe the line.

I never intended to be a manufacturer, and it was fine that others picked up on the idea.

The original idea actually came from Blake Carroll (RIP), with a crude version of it.